New to the forum, new to climbing.

• k.cromack
  • k.cromack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago #136860 by k.cromack
New to the forum, new to climbing. was created by k.cromack
Hey everybody, thank you for the collective effort in making information and communication available for climbers. I'm ordering my combo climbing kit this week. I'm excited about getting in the canopy for the first time. What would you all suggest for techniques to begin with for entering and what knots would you say are essential to learn? Thank you all for your time and input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #136861 by Nimbadon
Replied by Nimbadon on topic New to the forum, new to climbing.
Welcome to the wonderful world of tree climbing cromack
I would suggest you get your hands on one of Treemans DVDs and Jeff Jepsoms book
I think both of those are available from the store here
Then ........ Well the sky is the limit really :P
Just practice low and slow.

Have fun stay safe

Adrian

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #136866 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic New to the forum, new to climbing.
Welcome to the forum. You might look at these knots...

Grog - Arborist

Grog - Climbing

And this book...

Jeff Jepson

And carefully watch some videos if you don't have a local instructor...

Blake's Hitch
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Davej.

More
9 years 8 months ago #136868 by patty
Replied by patty on topic New to the forum, new to climbing.
Hi Cromack,

I have lots of suggestions, so feel free to call me at TCI (404-377-3150) if you want to talk this through. Here are the most important things:

--Tree climbing can be dangerous. Get training before you get into a tree on your own. You have to know what you're doing and the rules for safety before you try anything. I strongly urge you to read our "Recreational" climbing section (under Education) to see what's available from TCI, or we can direct you to a school with a trained instructor closer to your home. If that's not possible for you, at least purchase our "Tree Climbing Basics" DVD, which is very thorough. But hands-on training is always best.

--Don't order gear until you know what to order, otherwise you'll end up spending a boatload of $$ on stuff that you may never use. It's so tempting to buy some of the sexy stuff way ahead of time; but then you'll learn new techniques and boom, you'll be trying to sell it on Ebay. (If you join TCI, membership includes a discount coupon to three different vendors of gear.)

--Start with doubled-rope technique (DRT) climbing as a foundation for everything else you do in the tree.

That's all for now. Thanks for posting your questions on the TCI Forums!

Patty Jenkins
TCI Executive Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tree-D

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds