climbing in town

• roth_wyatt
  • roth_wyatt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
10 years 6 months ago #136172 by roth_wyatt
climbing in town was created by roth_wyatt
Most people here are either doing ninja climbs at night or just climb until they get kicked out, but most people don't realize most trees that are well maintained are in small decorative town areas like infront of playgrounds and around fields. Without any rangers to say no and because police don't patrol these areas these climb spots are very nice places to climb and display the sport. anyone have any thoughts on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #136175 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic climbing in city parks without permission
It is called trespassing anyway you spin it.

Please consider the effect you cause when you climb a public park tree without permission and get caught. So what if you have both skills and approved gear, those in charge do not know that. You have to first tell them in person with proof and conviction.

So what if getting permission is a slow and laborious task. The city park officials are stressed out just trying to keep the place clean, grass cut and their equipment from being vandalized or stolen. Then you come along uninvited and in attempt of stealth have the strike zone open to any passerby. Might we be callused enough to think that you could never do anything to hurt yourself or you would never drop a biner on someone’s head or worst of all while you are aloft a dead hanger nowhere near to you decides then to fall and injures a pedestrian.

You all have seen these possibilities and should be concerned because you are guilty of trespassing. If you ever would happen to injure someone in a public park I will advise their attorney to sue your socks off. You knew the danger and willfully violated the most basic minimum standards of warning those of your overhead hazard. I agree the chances are astronomical but give our park officials some respect and just go ask first.

I doubt that my thoughts will stop you from trespassing but they should give you pause every time you look down from above and ask yourself what if?

• roth_wyatt
  • roth_wyatt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
10 years 6 months ago #136179 by roth_wyatt
Replied by roth_wyatt on topic climbing in city parks without permission
Well for starters permission is simple, call up your local police department and ask if tree climbing is allowed on public property, and when they say sure it is, because they expect kids doing it, you get their name and write it down. If someone goes and says something you have the name of someone who said you could, and they cannot press charges. Just follow all other park rules. They didn't ask who would be climbing, you thought they meant you could. easy.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #137400 by Tree Spider
Replied by Tree Spider on topic climbing in city parks without permission
I've been a little partial to finding trees in 'no man's land' areas. There's a paved jogging / biking trail in my city, with leftover stretches of forest all around. There are rarely any signs of anyone having ever hiked through, and seeing anyone else is quite rare as well.

I've thought about putting up simple trip lines with bells in a perimeter around the base of the tree, as a friendly alert to some hiker, and to get my attention. Or maybe something less labor intensive, just tie some neon surveyors tape. Could write on it with a marker, too.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Tree Spider.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #137647 by Rigger1
Replied by Rigger1 on topic climbing in city parks without permission
Unless I'm badly mistaken, public land is public, and that includes the trees. Individual use of public land is almost universally guaranteed and you don't need a permit to occupy a space of grass any more than you need one to occupy a tree.

Busybodies or aggressive city/town employees notwithstanding, I'm not aware of a general legal precedent that you cannot occupy a public tree any more than occupying public grass.

The only argument they could use is that you are damaging the tree, but if you are observing ethical climbing standards, that's a moot point. By the same argument, they'd have to harass anyone hurting public lawns by crushing/shading them with their butts.

Its only trespassing if you are on private property or any location where occupying a tree or other space/location is prohibited.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Rigger1.

More
7 years 7 months ago #137648 by moss
When you're climbing in plain view on public land you are creating insurance headaches for whoever is "in charge", whether it's town, state or federal land. In New England majority of public officials will say no when you ask, it's too risky for them and it's much easier to say no. There's no point in arguing with cops or rangers, when law enforcement says get out of the tree you get out of the tree and be nice, anything else will result in negatives for you. My approach is get permission on private land or climb in places where I'm never going to run into anyone who cares whether you're in a tree or not. Typical experience is people can walk within 40' of a tree and never see you, only birdwatchers and dogs tend to look up, unless you're making a lot of noise. It is wise to climb away from trails, you'll never be noticed and you'll avoid dropping things on people's heads. I've climbed on public land in my area for going on 11 years and have only been seriously rousted by law enforcement a couple times, and each time we parted on good terms. Over time I've done my best to educate law enforcement, the general message I get is "Don't create trouble for us and we won't make trouble for you". When it comes to engaging in an activity that the general public perceives as extremely dangerous, discretion is the better part of valor.
-AJ

More
7 years 7 months ago #137649 by moss

Tree Spider wrote: I've thought about putting up simple trip lines with bells in a perimeter around the base of the tree, as a friendly alert to some hiker, and to get my attention. Or maybe something less labor intensive, just tie some neon surveyors tape. Could write on it with a marker, too.

When people see me climbing in the woods the first thing they ask is "Are you cutting down the tree?". People feel very protective of the woods where they regularly walk or take their dogs. If I have contact with people in the woods while I'm climbing I do my best to reassure them I'm engaged in safe activity that does not damage the trees. They will call the police if their perception is otherwise. In the cell phone age people will call the cops for just about anything. The reality is most people in the woods never notice me, I always hear them at a distance, humans are generally very noisy in the woods and self-absorbed. When I hear them coming I simply stop climbing and just hang out until they've gone by.
-AJ

More
7 years 7 months ago #137650 by Rigger1
Replied by Rigger1 on topic climbing in city parks without permission
I can't really argue with any of that. I haven't climbed in public, but similar issues arise when shooting on public land in NH. Per state law, its legal if you follow a few rules, but many town police forces take a "you can sue us later, but for now you have to leave immediately" posture because of course you are going to comply and not bother with any legal action.

The bigger issue with both, though, is the general public, like you say. Everyone wants to be a hero/Captain Planet/See Something Say Something. At least with rangers or police you have a chance that they are educated on the law and cut you a break. The public, not so much.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds