Looking to get into tree climbing in New Jersey.

• draknats
  • draknats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #135697 by draknats
Hey y'all,

I've been into hiking and the likes for quite a while, and I now have my sights on tree climbing. I have some experience with indoor rock climbing, but no (recent) experience with tree climbing. (Also, I have no equipment)

Any suggestions on how to get started? I live in the NYC/Philly area (South Jersey to be more precise) and would like to start learning the art. The catch is that I'm on a shoestring budget, so I can't, for instance, go to Georgia and spend $500 on a course (at least not in the immediate future).

In the meantime, I plan on ordering the DVD and book from this website.

Thanks for any input,
Al.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #135698 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Looking to get into tree climbing in New Jersey.
There are a few recommendations that I can think of. First off don't buy a rope shorter than 150'. When I started I bought 120' and it was too short for most trees in my area.

I know throw line can be expensive, however there is nothing I have found that can be a substitute. When I started I spent hours trying to set a line using masonry string. It would stick to bark, branches and tangle more often than not. 2.2mm "Fling-It" is what I use now.

The book "The Tree Climber's Companion" is a great source for learning the ropes. It also has a section in the back that shows how to tie knots useful for tree climbing.

Wesspur.com and Treestuff.com are great places to buy gear.

I am sure others will chime in to.

• draknats
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #135699 by draknats
Have you watched the DVD? Think it would teach me the fundamentals of tree climbing and give me a good point of reference to start with?

Do you think this would be sufficient to get started?

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=942

I would need an ascender too, no?

Do you know anything about amateur clubs in the NY/PA area? I feel like it'd be best for me to touch base with someone in person.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #135700 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Looking to get into tree climbing in New Jersey.
I have not watched the DVD. It probably has some good tips though.

I would try a different saddle than the one that is in the kit. I started out in a weaver saddle just like it and it was very uncomfortable. The basic new tribe saddle is comfortable at a good price. Also that kit doesn't come with a friction saver which you will need.

you will not need an ascender to start climbing. You can tie a simple blak's hitch using the working end of your rope. The hitch will act like an ascender when you push it up the rope and it will let you descend by pulling down on it. http://www.sherrilltree.com/site/PKnots/BlakesHitch.html

I don't know about any tree climbing clubs in your area, but a guy with the username 2chops might.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Treezybreez.

More
12 years 2 months ago #135704 by patty
Hi Draknats,

Patty Jenkins here, I run TCI, and we produced the "Tree Climbing Basics" DVD that you're talking about. We made that DVD so that someone could learn to climb safely, and thousands of people worldwide have learned from it in the past several years. Please take a good look at its description in our webstore. It has more than "good tips" (thanks, Treezybreez!). Along with Jepson's book, it's an excellent way to start. I think that if you can't afford to come to Atlanta for training, however, you should also consider our "At Home" (online) Basic Tree Climbing Course. It's the next best thing to taking the BTCC in person. A description of that course is in our "Education" section.

If you join TCI, you'll get access to our Climber Finder and a "centroid" on a Google map for each TCI member. There are LOTS of good climbers in NJ. 2Chops lives in western Pennsylvania, not too close to you.

Hope this helps you move forward to becoming a tree climber!
All the best.

More
12 years 2 months ago #135705 by 2chops
Hi draknats.I live in Williamsport, (central PA). It's a 3 hr. ride from Philly.To the best of my knowledge there are no tree climbing clubs in PA. In fact I'm the only one doing facilitated events as a business. However, one of the posters here, Baker(Franklin Klock) lives in Carbondale area. He works for the Carbon County Environmental Educational Center. I think that's the name of the place. Anyways, he's a TCI trained facilitator. He's the closest one to you that I can think of.

However, if you do find yourself in my area, feel free to look me up. I have lots of gear and access to more trees than you can shake a stick at.

Ron

More
12 years 2 months ago #135706 by 2chops
Hey yall...just found out that Baker isn't a TCI trained facilitator. None the less, he's an experienced facilitator and knows what he's doing. Sorry for any confussion this may have caused.

Ron

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #135707 by moss
Peter Avelar and Efrain Beltre run NJNY Tree Climbing Adventures LLC out of Jersey City. I've climbed with them, good folks, tell them I sent you.

Here's their facebook page
-AJ
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by moss.

More
12 years 1 month ago #135730 by pdbrandt
Hey Draknats,

I learned to climb using Peter Jenkins DVD and Jepson's book. Those two resources along with this forum and the Canopy Chatter forum have provided all the information I have needed. As an isolated climber, remember to try new techniques low and slow until you are comfortable with them.

Have fun!

Patrick

More
12 years 1 month ago #135742 by treeman
Well said Patrick. I could not have said it better. You can indeed learn from a book and a DVD. It just takes a little bit more time when you do it on your own.

Treeman

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• draknats
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
12 years 1 month ago #135747 by draknats
Cool, thanks everyone for the input. The DIY route seems the most appropriate to me due to budgetary limitations and the fact that I'm generally with this sort of stuff. Gonna get the DVD and then save up for proper harness/rope, et c, and then I'll hopefully make my way into the TC world.

Best,
Al.

More
11 years 7 months ago #135871 by jhurdle1950
Replied by jhurdle1950 on topic Re:Looking to get into tree climbing in New Jersey.
I'm in the same boat as you. I got the Tree Climbers Companion, then I got the DVD. The book has a ton of good info, but the DVD made it easier for me to grasp the set up and knots and whatnot. I say buy both. I'm looking around for gear myself, not having much luck. Everything on Craigslist is eaither too far away, rediculously overpriced ( people want big money for junk) or sold in the first 10 minutes. Oh well, keep looking or buy new. I haven't found any groups in the area. I'm in central jersey btw.

More
11 years 2 months ago #135988 by patty
The TCI Kit comes with two leather cambium savers. The saddle that comes in the kit is a New Tribe Basic, which can be upgraded to the New Tribe Tengu for $40.
patty

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #135992 by moss

02svt wrote: I'm looking around for gear myself, not having much luck. Everything on Craigslist is eaither too far away, rediculously overpriced ( people want big money for junk) or sold in the first 10 minutes. Oh well, keep looking or buy new. I haven't found any groups in the area. I'm in central jersey btw.

You're in a catch 22 situation trying to by used tree gear without experience tree climbing. You don't know enough yet to know what will work for you and what won't. And more importantly you have no idea what the history of the gear is, when it comes to life support equipment that is a very significant consideration. Consider that a new New Tribe Soft D basic harness costs $164. I still have my hard D version of the same thing 8 years later and it's still in use in excellent condition. If you decide to go to a fancier harness later you'll hav ean excellent guest harness. After all climbing alone gets tired after awhile. Good luck with your tree climbing endeavors!
-AJ
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by moss.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds