Hello, new to the board

• nhdevildog
  • nhdevildog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125603 by nhdevildog
Hello, new to the board was created by nhdevildog
Well been a peeping tom for a while and decided to join. I live in Derry, NH and tride taking a swing at rock climbing. It was hard because of my size. Not overweight just bigger than the average climber. So I started researching and studying and got into tree climbing. Wich is so much easier on the hands. I am a newbie and everything I have learned was by book. And some minor rope skills in the service. Up until now I have been using ascenders and working on my friction knots. I use CMI, and Fisk for a descender. I hope to be able to learn to climb using just ropes, knots, and my saddle. I am taking it slow though. For my job I am a Forensic Autopsy Asst., and a Paramedic. I wholesale reptiles as a hooby and for extra cash. I hopefully will be doing some part time tree work to learn from some pros, better than I can teach myself. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. great board.

Dave

In war there is no substitute for victory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125605 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Hello, new to the board
Greetings Dave, welcome to the board. I used to spend my summers around Sutton and New London, and Lake Sunapee (Sp?). Beautiful country up there.

-Harv

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125610 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Good to see you.
Tell me more about your reptiles. I used to hunt snakes until I brought home the wrong specie- a baby poisonious water snake. I had to then go to turtles and lizards.

This is a good place to ask questions and find like minded people in your area. Don't be afraid to converse here. We are a good hearted community here.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• nhdevildog
  • nhdevildog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125619 by nhdevildog
Replied by nhdevildog on topic Thank you for the welcome
I am glad to have some pros I can ask questions to once I get some more knowledge. I am just tryng to prefect my knots right now. BURN them into memory.
As for the reptiles....I specialize in hot work. Those little ones will get you everytime too. GA area it could have been one of a few species. I was in Columbus and Savannah GA for a while. I love the South. Buying a place in KY as we speak. Can't afford it up here anymore and the climate is alot better for my latter hobby. here is a bite to my ugly mug from a Canebrake. Maybe 4 hours after. Its not a joke. I am not the Croc hunter and was thinking I was that day. I learned. Have some other good pics too, and have qutie a selection. Well thanks again for the welcome. I look forward to learning from you all and enjoying the sport.

Dave

In war there is no substitute for victory

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125620 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic OUCH
Hey Dave.

Welcome...just keep your snakes at home!

We saw a King on a tree near where we were going to climb two weekends ago. I had set the ropes, and hike out to retrieve my climb partner...on the way back in he says "STOP, STOP" Sure enough that sucker was about 10' away from my rope... I imagined him introducing himself to my XTC while I was away, I like snakes, but not near my rope...I'll look before I ascend again!

Welcome! Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• lichen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125622 by lichen
Replied by lichen on topic Hello, new to the board
Hello,
I am just cheking out this MB, I came here a few months ago and it was going to cost some $$. So I ran, and ran, and ran but when you run far enough you come back to where you started. I've been checking out some of the other message boards which are free and got alot of great advice. So I suppose I will now be spending a few hours getting myself familiar with you guys and gals (are there any gals in tree climbing?). Thanks for opening the MB up to the public.

Lichen

• 3climbr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125623 by 3climbr
Replied by 3climbr on topic welcome
I took the Basic Tree Climbing Course from Genevieve Summers (a woman). She is a fabulous and patient instructor. Her site is www.dancingwithtrees.com
Robert

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds