Keeping a climbing log

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125170 by moss
Keeping a climbing log was created by moss
Do many of you keep a climbing log? I haven't started one yet but would like to.

What kind of information do you put in your log? Here's what I think I'd put in for a climb:

Location, Date, Time, Tree species, Description of tree including estimated height and any other unique features such as lean etc. Description of climb including: type of rope(s) used, number of pitches, ascent/canopy/descent climbing technique (SRT, DRT, DREC, etc.), Duration of climb, Any incidents that occured during climb and flora and fauna observations

Anything obvious that I'm missing?

Understandably we all have different interests and may keep a very minimal log or might feel inspired by the climb and write a short novel :-)

Thanks,
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125171 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Keeping a climbing log
How about weather and time of day?

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125176 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Keeping a climbing log
You might also want to note who was in your climbing party, if it was group or solo.

• Rod Justice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125178 by Rod Justice
Replied by Rod Justice on topic Keeping a climbing log
Wildbill keeps about the most extensive log as anyone I know. I'm sure he'll check in on the subject. If not, get with him.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125635 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Keeping a Log
Moss, I recently started to enter info into a small log. It is a nice way to remember places and issues that were encountered, reason for being there such as trying a new technique or just trimming the branches on a friend's tree. I have been trying to remember some of the dates and number of climbs that I did last year and it is very hard to remember that far back accurately. I was trying to recreated the time when I first got the gear from NTribe and the frustrations encountered on the first try. Similar experiences to many I have seen posted on this board. Good exercise for new and seasoned climbers alike. Good luck w/ keeping your log.

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125636 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Keeping a climbing log
Hey Oldtimer, I'm having trouble getting my log entry done regularly but am committed to doing so. I do a lot of birding and as I look over my notes from past years I find so much that I'd forgotten. The same has to be true for tree climbing, you'll really value every little detail you write down, no matter how ordinary it seems when you put it on paper.
-moss

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125640 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Journal
I tend to use the forum as a log. After all, there's a search function.

I've always admired Wild Bill's record keeping on total height climbed. That's one aspect that I'm missing.

Anyone put canopy contemplations in a journal? I've had some great thoughts while dwelling in nature, but I keep busy with climbing thoughts when in the canopy.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds