HELP :)

• medfield
  • medfield's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124999 by medfield
HELP :) was created by medfield
I would just like to say hello and what a nice site you have. I am a new member its all good, and well I got a few questions for whomever. I was in the woods and found this great vine, man it was perfect, then oneday it was raining and I was swinging was about 30 feet off the ground and it just decided to slip off the tree. I have some money to burn, not a lot but enough to get this going. I need a recommendation for a harness, rope and spurs. I have climbed up 20-30 foot tree's with just a piece of rope to rap around and walk up them before. I have taken out books at the library and read up on knots and such. I really just would like to be pointed in any general direction im interested in setting up a new swing, but using the harness and stuff further down the road for some great views. I dont weigh much 200 pounds 36 waist 6 foot 7, again im new to this so Ill just be spewing out stuff that really doesnt mean much I guess. Any response would be gratefully appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #125001 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic HELP :)
Welcome. If you're looking to learn tree climbing, you've come to the right place.

I'll recommend what others have said in other threads. Start with the two books "The Tree Climber's Companion" by Jepson and "Recreational Tree Climbing" by Flowers. I got mine from New Tribe (www.newtribe.com).

Let us know where you live because the best way to learn is to go to one of the schools or find someone to teach you. I haven't been able to do either and my progress is very slow.

Nice to have you on board.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #125041 by joesoup
Replied by joesoup on topic Howdy
I too am brand new to the the sport. I am definately loving it, although I have yet to get above 10-15 feet, since the rope I have is not really the greatest, I am waiting on my Blue Streak to get here. I have found that almost all the online suppliers will send you a free catalog if you request one. My favorite is Sherrill. They have really competitive prices, and their catalog is really awesome. The Tree Climbers Companion is really great for all the basics.
Have Fun!!!

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125607 by nhdevildog
Replied by nhdevildog on topic Got my equipment from wess spur(spelling)
They had some kits that were pretty good. 500+ range.

In war there is no substitute for victory

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125608 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic HELP :)
Medfield- A big welcome. There is a LOT to learn here, and eager teachers ready to send you well on your way.

My first bit of advice: you mentioned that you want to buy, among other things, spurs. This site is dedicated to recreational tree climbing. One of our "rules" is that we do not damage the trees. The spikes damage the trees, so if you stick with us, will teach you how to do what you want to do without causing a bit of harm to our foliated friends!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125611 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Welcome to both of you new folks.
Welcome. As you can see we are a good natured community here. Ask questions- even if you think they are dumb. It's the dumb questions that everyone wants to know but afraid to ask because it might have them look- well- dumb.

Climbing is dangerous if you do it improperly. It can also harm trees if done improperly. Get training if you love climbing. It costs some money, yes, but you get off to a fast start and much safer start at that. There are worse ways to spend money.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125614 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic New Climber Advise
Medfield, Welcome to the RTC Community. Read some of the old postings and you will get answers to all the questions. You may have to read for quite a while but it is a well worth effort to learn the right way. Read the Jepson a Flowers books already mentioned and as soon as possible take a training from someone that knows what they are doing. It will make you feel more conficend knowing that you are safe and It will be more enjoyable overall.
Be carefull up there!

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds