Tree Houses Japan

• cedwards
  • cedwards's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124918 by cedwards
Treehouse builders? was created by cedwards
I have been researching treehouses for quite some time. I have read all the "major" books. Wondering if anyone here has used their tree climbing skills to build a tree house? Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124919 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Tree Houses Japan
When I built the treehouses I first climbed the trees to do a survey of the tree. Setting strings at points that might become "footings" helped me visualize the shape of the decks.

When it came time to build I worked off ladders as much as possible. I had my rope and saddle on at all times for safety and lateral movement.

Hoisting beams into place was fun. Setting rigging was no different than when I would remove a tree but in reverse.

What questions do you have?

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124853 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Tree Houses Japan
Mr Edwards ,
Here is the link for Tree Houses Japan. You may have seen this link already from the main US Treeclimbing Links site but here it goes just in case. Check out the contruction history of the Miso Barrell house - cool story from the Founder John Gathright.

http://www.treeclimbing.jp/tree_climbing_school.html

Note: You do not have to install the Japanese Characters reader to see this info, they have it in English version also.

• cedwards
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124924 by cedwards
Replied by cedwards on topic Tree Houses Japan
Thanks for the Miso tree house link. I love it- but I doubt I'll get that elaborate- maybe though?

Tom, most of my questions are regarding getting building materials up into the tree. One of the books I read said to do as much construction on the ground. Being that I don't have any friends that climb trees with ropes I don't know if I'll be able to hoist entire walls up like they did in the book. I'll e-mail you and we'll chat more.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124971 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Tree Houses Japan
This might be a great opportunity to teach someone to climb!

I know this'll take the fun out of it, but do you know anyone with a bucket truck?

Make sure you give the tree room to grow!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• cedwards
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124973 by cedwards
Yeah- I'm trying to get a group of people together and get someone to come teach us all.

Couldn't get a bucket truck back where the treehouse site is because there is a stream to cross.

The trees are already pretty big- 70-80 ft black cherry and hemlock but I will definitely leave room for them to grow.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124974 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Tree Houses Japan

Originally posted by CEdwards
The trees are already pretty big- 70-80 ft black cherry and hemlock but I will definitely leave room for them to grow.

Hemlock roots are very sensitive to soil compaction which could occur with the foot traffic associated with a tree house. It might be worth asking a local arborist/tree expert and see what they think.

Also, is your area free of Wooly Adelgid at this point? This introduced critter is demolishing Eastern Hemlock in the northeast. Adelgids are being held down by a specific average low winter temperature in the more inland and northern parts of the northeast so your trees may be safe for the forseeable future. Something to check on if you haven't already.

-moss

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124978 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Tree Houses
I just learned that the local botanical garden near Kansas City is going to feature 10 Tree-Mendous Houses this May thru Oct.

That means the 10 crews will be building very soon.

Here are the 10 Trees

Check out the calendar of events for May at the Powell Gardens.

Maybe I can volunteer a day to get to climb some of their nice trees.

Powell Gardens Events for May

See you at the top,
Dan

• cedwards
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124984 by cedwards
Those look nice. Always thought it would be cool to climb some of the incredible trees at Longwood Gardens in Penn. or to watch them transplant trees by helicopter

http://www.longwoodgardens.org/Plants&Horticulture/Helicopter.htm

Oh, no Adelgids yet. If they come I will have to deal with it. Checked with the arborist already who said that it looked like a good site for the treehouse.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds