Asian Tragedy

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124577 by treeman
Asian Tragedy was created by treeman
I find watching the news generally numbing. But the Asian tragedy is something much more stressing to me. There is so much havoc! I feel guilty when I take my daily hot shower or look at my full plate.

I will not succumb to my usual disengagement when I see others suffer. I will make a generous donation to a relief fund. That is what they need most; money. This disaster will take a lot of help worldwide. It will be with us for a long time.

Is anyone else giving? Is this the kind of thing tree climbers do? I guess I am really depressed.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124578 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Asian Tragedy
Though tragic, it's a good topic to bring out for discussion. I returned to my Sunday paper to read the first report in print. It was buried in the A section as a news brief, reporting the death of only nine people - obviously a glitch of receiving new information. Each day now there are 10's of thousands more lives reported as lossed. Today, I hear that it's over 80,000.

I'll be donating.

Regards,
Jim

• mark123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124580 by mark123
Replied by mark123 on topic Asian Tragedy
hi
i stay around the region, it is very depressing for us to see our fellowmen and neighbours suffered. we r raising fund and what supplies to send over to seriously affected countries to help them. the after effect of this disaster could be greater due to infection, lack of clean water and medication if we dont contain it effectively. we pray for them to recover and be alive and strong especially for those who have family members or friends who have lost their lives. we hope this kind of disaster could be prevented in the future through proper warning system. it is such an irony that the greatest 'perceived' threat in the world is terroism whereas our very own nature and environment is slowly 'strangling' our existance

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124586 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Asian Tragedy
The American Red Cross has an easy-to-use site for credit card donations. It is: https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

Click on the first category if you wish to donate toward relieving the Asian tsunami tragedy.

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124589 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Asian Tragedy
After I made my donation to the Red Cross, I got the following email. I used to work for Global Greengrants in Boulder, CO. They are an international social/environmental regranting project working directly with local grassroots organizations. They do good work. So here's another, more alternative route for contributing:

- Greengrants to Match Donations to Tsunami Relief Effort -

In response to the devastation from the recent earthquake and tsunami in Asia, Global Greengrants Fund is offering a way for U.S. donors to get direct aid to NGOs on the ground in Sumatra, Sri Lanka and India. Impoverished coastal communities in these regions have been completely destroyed, and the resulting humanitarian crisis requires a generous international response. Greengrants, as a U.S. based 501(c)(3) organization, can provide U.S. donors with a tax-deduction and will send 100% of your donation directly to the two groups described below. Greengrants will also match the first $5,000 donated. We have a pre-existing relationship with the two organizations listed below, which allows for quick and easy transfer of funds. And we are currently working to identify groups in India that can accept immediate funds for relief efforts as well.

- Sri Lankan Relief Effort

The Saviya Development Foundation in Galle, Sri Lanka will respond to the devastation caused by the Tsunami by providing relief resources to the 25 refugee centers along the southern coast of Sri Lanka. Saviya will use donations to supply food and water to families in the area who have lost their homes and property, support medical efforts at the refugee centers, and to resolve local residential problems. In the past, Saviya has received Greengrants funds to restore and preserve the Madu Ganga wetlands, and to engage local school children in this process.

- Sumatra Relief Effort

WALHI (Friends of the Earth Indonesia), has established the Indonesian Civil Society Coalition for the Victims of Earthquake and Tsunami to provide aid to the victims. The coalition has set up crisis centers in Jakarta and Medan, North Sumatra. All funds received will be allocated for emergency response as well as the post-emergency phase of rebuilding and restoration of shattered livelihoods. WALHI has received funding from Greengrants to protect forests in Indonesia. Daily updates on the relief effort in Sumatra are available at:
http://www.eng.walhi.or.id

- HOW TO DONATE -

Global Greengrants’ Fund is a U.S. 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization, and will match the first $5,000 donated to this special relief effort. 100% of Tsunami Fund donations will be sent to these relief efforts.

Greengrants’ U.S. tax ID number is: 84-1612422

- Credit Card Donations. To contribute using a credit card, visit: www.greengrants.org/donate and click on the “donate now” button. Please note that the donation is on behalf of the Tsunami Fund.

- Check. Checks mailer and post-marked by December 31, 2004 are eligible for a tax deduction in 2004. Contributions after December 31, will be deductible for 2005. Mail checks to: Global Greengrants Fund - Tsunami Fund, 2840 Wilderness Place, Suite E, Boulder, CO 80301

- Wire Transfers. To send funds via wire transfer: Account Name: Global Greengrants Fund; account number: 558-611-8597; SWIFT code: WFBIUS6S; and routing number: 121 000 248.

- Stock Donations. If you are interested in contributing stocks, call Kelly Purdy or Erika Carlson at 303.939.9866 to get our full banking information, or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. / This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

For additional information on international donors providing relief assistance please visit the Grantmakers Without Border website at: www.internationaldonors.org/issues/tsunami_dec2004.htm, or the Tides Foundation at: www.tidesfoundation.org

Thank you for your help with this important effort.

Global Greengrants Fund (www.greengrants.org)

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds