Huh

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124727 by nickfromwi
Busting out the TIP was created by nickfromwi
I got this idea a while back but haven't had the chance to try it out yet. Find a tree that is going to be removed soon, climb up, tie in as you normally do, then go somewhere else lower in tree, flipline in, then do everything in your power to bust out your tie-in point by pulling on your climbing line.

Would it stand to reason that if you were able to bust it out, you shouldn't've (can that be a word?) tied in to it in the first place?

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124686 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Huh
I was contacted by someone who didn't pay the $20 and they offered two good bits of advice for anyone who might actually try this.

1- Disconnect yourself from the TIP before you attempt to bust it out.

2- Don't pull with your climbing line, ties something else to it.

When I originally thought of this idea, it was in my head that any attempts to bust out the TIP would be futile. I sometimes tie in to smaller stuff, though usually it's normal sized.

What guidelines do y'all use in choosing how high up you can tie in? When I started, someone advised to me that the main stem you are going around should at least be as thick as your shoulder and the branch coming off of that that's actually holding your rope up should be as thick as your wrist. That made good sense to me, so that is what I now consider normal. I push those limits sometimes when appropriate.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124565 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Huh
So, Nick. I'm thinking this could be a dangerous experiment, I generally like to be away from falling timber! I would love to check it out, though. I also have been taught the forearm and wrist rule, though I feel more comfortable with the thigh and waist rule, though I'm getting better on climbing the small stuff. I'd like to see a study done with a ground anchor, a comealong, and a scale in line to see how much a typical TIP can take.

Anybody game?

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds