Promoting Tree Climbing to the Mainstream

• jimk123
  • jimk123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124511 by jimk123
In creating strategies that introduce technical tree climbing to the public, does it make sense to promote the DRT component of technical tree climbing as a safer training method before SRT exploits are pursued? In marketing terms, sell DRT to the SRT trainer as an instruction tool. The student climber consequently becomes introduced. I can envision of group of student climbers preferring DRT adventures over SRT. Where would they go next? To a tree grove!

A good example is the Boy Scout Merit Badge for climbing. It's all about SRT. Wouldn't starting with DRT give everyone a safer adventure? Then SRT could be approached with a stronger skill set.

Regards,
JimK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wildbill
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124512 by wildbill
Replied by wildbill on topic Promoting Tree Climbing to the Mainstream
I have several styles of DRT and SRT climbing that I use; they've been developed in my five short years of climbing.

Having said that, however, I now state that if I could learn or teach only one style of climbing it would be the standard double-rope technique using either the 5/3 friction knot or the 4/3 (depending on the weight and preference of the individual climber). The reason for this is quite simple: the standard DRT system allows quick and safe positioning anywhere I want to go in the canopy. I can move up or down almost instantly without having to remove or add mechanical devices such as ascenders or descenders, which could quickly get an inexperienced climber into trouble.

I would only teach SRT to a climber after he or she has made a lot of climbs using the DRT system, and has reached a point where he or she feels comfortable in the canopy and can move around up there with a reasonable degree of ease. Even then, I would start with a system such at the yo-yo, which allows the climber to ascend and descend on the same mechanical devices without having to switch over.

After all, this climbing stuff is all about safety...!

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124513 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Promoting Tree Climbing to the Mainstream
Jim, your suggestion implies that DdRT is safer than SRT. Is this idea accepted by everyone?

In my eyes, it's not the system, it's the user.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124516 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic DRT or SRT first?
TCI teaches DRT first because it is a simplified technique with fewer inherent problems, like using a descending system that is different from the ascending system. New climbers learning how to leave the ground go into many emotional states while experiencing heights they are not accustomed to. High emotional states are not conducive to switching techniques to complete the cycle of climbing- going up, then coming down. Rescues off SRT are not easy either!

Someone living in the Northwest would probably differ. There they have the tallest trees in the world. They may very well start off with SRT technique. I do not know myself how the canopy researchers teach let alone recreational tree climbers we do not know out there.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124517 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic BSA
I would imagine that the BSA only does top roping climbs with SRT. If someone gets stuck, they are lowered down. DRT would probably be an improvement. Less to worry about (self belay) and almost error proof if safety knots are tied if the climber makes a mistake in descending too fast. This is how TCI has maintained an injury free record with over 50,000 climbs through climbing events and introductions over the years.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds