Tree terms/definitions

• ponderosa
  • ponderosa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124478 by ponderosa
Tree terms/definitions was created by ponderosa
Like many, when someone on this board refers to some great article, such as the ones on aerial rescue, suspension-trauma, or how to make a Swiss seat, I save it to my reference/resouces file.

Got me to thinking that it might be nice to have an online reference/resource section, perhaps as an adjunct to this board, starting with a glossary of some arboriculture terms. Here is a basic one that I like, and seems to match up with our jargon.

http://www.laparks.org/dos/forest/pdf/Definition.pdf

Or perhaps we could use something like this as a starting point, adding terms specific to tree climbing.

Any thoughts?

Harv

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124479 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Glossary
I do not know a lot of climbers that use these terms in their speech thta are listed on your link. Possibly a tree care professional talking to another tree care professional. This language would certainly be used in a consulting arborist's written report.

Rec climbers will develope their own language. The surfers and rock climbers did just that.

DRT, DbRT, SRT, false crotch, directional setting, Big Shot, Treeboat, throw bag, slick line, spyder rope, rigging bag, triple locking, double locking, switch over, pitch, summit branch, limb walking, are a few glossary terms that come to mind. I know there are lots more out there.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125492 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Tree terms/definitions
Rope technique questions…

1.) Is it O.K. to refer to climbing line as "rope"?

2.) I understand what is meant by SRT climbing but with the term DRT, is that traditional friction hitch climbing?

3.) If conventional friction hitch climbing is what is meant by DRT, then what term is used to describe the dual rope, twin ascender, foot lock climbing that is frequently done by arborists in speed climbing competition?

Clueless in Jersey

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125509 by blakeshitch
Replied by blakeshitch on topic Tree terms/definitions
Is "summit branch" the branch where you plan to perch for a while (maybe with the best view or the most comfortable seat), or is it the highest branch that you can climb to?

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125511 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Tree terms/definitions
The summit should not be the highest point you can get to, it should be the highest point that can be attained. Just like a mountain. I might get as far up as I can, but you can go higher perhaps.....but you can only get to the summit.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125523 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Why Bother
I worry about terms like Summit Branch. I think that the idea of a Summit for a tree is a bad thing. It indicates a goal that must be driven towards. I climbed one of m favorites this weekend, and acchieved only the first limb. There is at least 60' above it. Should I feel bad that I didn't acchieve a Summit? I don't think so.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125524 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Tree terms/definitions
Ya, I don't think the summit concept holds up too well for trees. You can always go higher on a tree (with potentially diminishing returns) whereas on a chunk of rock there is a verifiable "highest point". In hardwood trees there are so many potential highest points that it could get ridiculous trying to figure out which spot is the summit. On a conifer it could become "who's crazy enough to perch on the smallest twig?" There is also an implication of climbing above the tie-in point.

The word "top" as in tree-top may be better than "summit". Basically you can climb to the top of a tree, that means you're in the region of the tree top. How high you get in the tree top will vary per person depending on your weight and other factors.
-moss

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125525 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Good point Icabod.
Good point. Summit has a tone to it that requires getting there. Is this a term on the TCI web site. If so, let me know where it is. I rarely go to the high tie in point anymore. It’s actually been years since I’ve done that. Like you said Icabod, why bother? There just seems to be a place in a tree that draws me. I get there, I stop, and take it in. I could be there for quite some time. I am not sure exactly how it works.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125532 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Tree terms/definitions
Back to Electrojake's questions boys!(Please, cus I'm wondering the same)
Are we climbing on "rope" or on a "line"???
I was taught in high school with NJROTC that a line is used on a ship and a good navy man would never!! use the word rope.
What about us climbers are we "On Rope"?(No pun intended with the book)
Can anyone clarify please?

Also, can anyone please identify the methods of climbing that is, "SRT" , "DRT", "DdRT" for those interested?

Where did the "Cow Hitch" get its name?

Is a tree's center called a "stem" or a "trunk" ?

Are we "ascending" or "climbing" a rope?--uh or line?, or uh I mean I don't know till we get an answer above-haha.

Just some food or uh nutrition for thought.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125541 by blakeshitch
Replied by blakeshitch on topic Tree terms/definitions
Treeman,
You used the term "summit branch" in your 12/15/04 post on this thread, but it's not elsewhere on the TCI web site.

I agree, I look for a nice resting place in the tree to spend some time, not necessarily the highest point.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125545 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Thanks Blakeshitch.
May my "summit branch" vocabulary rest in peace. Thanks for letting me know it was not hanging out on the TCI message board away from my sight. Consider it null and dead- a hold over from my over active younger days.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125546 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic DbRT. Tom Dunlop coined that one I think.
DbRT- It further defines double rope technique. There is a double rope technique used in rock climbing, 2- 9mm kernmantle ropes if I am not correct. Right Tom?

I prefer rope. Line is too thin for me.

Trunk- it is fine by most people.

Stem- arborist language or more refined language. That's my take.

Ascending- more technical in tone. I use it a lot in writing.

Climbing- more of a mainstream tone. Tree climbing. Would you say tree ascending? Maybe if you are a high brow aristocrat.

Cow hitch? A caver term if I am not correct. I do not know of its origin.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125547 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Tree terms/definitions
Thanks.
I wonder if the cow hitch came from the method used to girth a cowbell around the neck of a cow. This is just a hunch or impression of have from seeing the cow hitch girthed around an arborist block for rigging and how it sort of chokes around the neck of the block almost looking like a cowbell hanging from the cow's neck.
Anyone else want to chime in?

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds