free climbing

• redpanda
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 6 months ago - 19 years 6 months ago #124097 by redpanda
Replied by redpanda on topic free climbing
Yup, much truth in that. Its all about acceptable risk, and what you decide . Choose your level of extremity!

Originally posted by Dietley

I think that the only acceptable form of freeclimbing in trees is that which is the equivalent of bouldering: at heights where a fall might cause, at worst, a twisted ankle. I am quite comfortable when my kids are climbing at this height, either in trees or on playground equipment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 6 months ago - 19 years 6 months ago #124102 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic My thoughts on free climbing.
I free climbed trees as a kid. I would often scare my parents because I DID climb high. I was a careful and lucky climber in that I never fell.

I was also a free climber on rock as a child. My parents had a small summer home in Estes Park, Colorado- the entrance to Rocky Mountain Park. This is America’s number two rock climbing area next to Yosemite. I was careful there too; and lucky. No falls. As a young man I took rock climbing classes and learned that climbing with technique was not only safer, but it allowed me to tackle more difficult climbs with confidence and took a lot of risk out of my climbing activities. But I did see and hear of many falls in the rock climbing arena.

My life as a climbing arborist where I climbed from 8-10 hours a day (when I was younger!), exposed me to incredible risk. But careful technique has taken me through 27 years without falling, but some close calls too. The profession is rife with serious falls and fatalities. It is more dangerous to be a professional climber than a cop- so say statistics.

When I created the idea of recreational tree climbing using a rope and harness, I had in mind a vision of an activity that most anyone could participate in with safety- both to themselves and the trees being climbed. This has been achieved to date with a no injury record and tens of thousands of climbers having participated in this relatively new activity. Even young children can do this thing; often along with parents just as thrilled (and a bit slower!) then their light weight climbing partners.

I think the tree climbing community here wants people to experience tree climbing with safety. It is a very freeing experience to relax in comfort and safety high above the ground. It adds immensely to that natural “coming home” feeling treetops offer us humans. After all, trees used to be our safe haven many thousands of years ago. To describe risky technique when better choices are available is viewed as a disservice here.

I find it heartening that there are so many adamant climbers here that want to share climbing with friends, but only if it is done safely. There is an incredible energy of those that climb with rope and harness not to harm ANYTHING- not themselves, buddies, or the trees. It is an affirmation that people CAN climb without a “conquer at any cost” mentality often seen in other high risk activities. The simple act to stop, look, and listen while hanging from a rope aloft is something so overlooked in our “hurry up society”.

Free climbing will always be around. Ask any kid. But there is so much more possible using a rope and harness. That is why folks here are so adamant on talking about greater possibilities found in good climbing technique.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
19 years 5 months ago - 19 years 5 months ago #124182 by prosigna
Replied by prosigna on topic Class 6 Tree?
This website defines a Class 6 tree as having the first branch higher than 75 feet. The original post claims to have climbed a class 6 without a rope. How did he get into the tree? I think he is full of it and just trying to start an arguement.

I can remember many tree climbing adventures as a boy. I would go so high it would scare everyone around. Man those were the days. That tree at my grandfathers house was my favorite tree for going high. Now I am 28 years old and that tree is not near as tall as it used to be. I think the to of it is only 25-feet. How did that tree shrink?:

Josh

More
19 years 5 months ago - 19 years 5 months ago #124252 by karinholm
Replied by karinholm on topic Okay, I get it now!
Especially to Icadbod and Treeman:

After being away on vacation for awhile (no tree climbing possibilities, alas), I came back and read the responses on this thread.

Okay, I get it now, Icabod. Hope I did no harm in asking about it. Please remember I just found out about this so am a real newbie. Luckily, I've read earlier threads of yours, so I know you don't sugarcoat your opinions -- and so I am not turned off.

Treeman, beautiful explanation which helped me tremendously get comfortable with TCI's stance. That allowed me to put the equipment concept into perspective as a way to increase access, height, and most of all safety.

I really liked hearing about everyone's personal experiences in trees before the technical recreational tree climbing concept became available.

I have finally located a rec treeclimbing place in Argonay, France called Accrocimes, which is not too far from Geneva. Does anyone know if they are qualified? How can I know if they are legit? Hope I can try something there next summer.

================
Dreaming about trees!

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 5 months ago - 19 years 5 months ago #124253 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic C'est bonne?
Karinholm,

There's no way for me to verify the competency of the group. However, I checked the site out with my weak French. I fear that I could be translating where you're more capable to translate on your own. It seems they offer half-day and whole day climbing sessions for skill enchancement or just recreation. Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be a depth of organization. There was no Jacque Treeman or such listed. There was no forum to parler.

The French have a strong rock climbing tradition. This tree program was founded by the ABM, rock climbing group. Just to put it into perspective for the US guys, the cost would be about $85 for one day climb and $65 for a tree-boat rental.

This is their weblink. http://www.accrocimes.com/

I did a search on www.wanadoo.fr using the voila.fr search engine and found this next site that reads like a complete version of TCI. They even have a forum - free.

http://www.accrobranche.org/

After reviewing other sites it seems that this accredition appears often: Membre du réseau Accrobranche® . The site that you're questioning doesn't have that accredidation. Is that significant?

Have fun in France. Visit the bouchons of Lyon. The Netherlands has climbing activity too - if you find yourself on a TGV going that direction.

Regards,
JimK

More
19 years 5 months ago - 19 years 5 months ago #124269 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic One down--How many more
Karin,

I guarantee you'll be happy with your new skills when you start to learn. There is no greater feeling in my book than to be 80-100' above ground on a limb as big around under your feet as your forearm, 40' away from the trunk of the tree; AND having the security to know if you fall, you will simply swing into midair.

Take it Low and Slow. Keep in touch, and make sure to let us know how much better climbing is since you decided to dump the old hang tight and dont fall technique.

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Glad my iritability didn't turn you off.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
19 years 5 months ago - 19 years 5 months ago #124270 by karinholm
Replied by karinholm on topic Appreciation
Dear JimK,
Thanks for doing so much research on my behalf! That is so kind of you!

I had previously read the Accrocime website (which I had been referred to by the Accrobranche folks). But since my French is not perfect and I don't know all the treeclimbing stuff, I really feel good having your verification of my concerns.
I have emailed the Accrocime people to ask about their qualifications and standards -- since like you pointed out, nothing is explained on their website (no response as of yet) and will not proceed with them until I am completely assured of their safety measures and legitimate status.

I can also contact the Accrobranche folks to inquire, since as you surmised, they seem to be the local accreditation organization. Hope to get further confirmation from anyone else who might know the French treeclimbers and reads this thread.

I have time to plan this, because I guess I wouldn't try anything until next summer 2005 anyway. Of course, I would love to plan a trip to Atlanta to take the basic course with TCI, but that is difficult to budget in timewise and moneywise when this is simply a extravagant whim of mine!

Dear Icabod,
I can't wait to try it and am sure I'll love it -- that is, if I can learn the knots, equipment and technical stuff (but having mastered the technical stuff to obtain a PADI for scuba diving, I guess I should be able to learn the treeclimbing ropes and paraphernalia). However, I know I must be patient and figure out a way to do it right. Thanks for setting me on the straight and narrow to always climb safely!

With kind regards,
Karin

================
Dreaming about trees!

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124271 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Foreign Relations
Karin,

Having worked in France, it never fails to amaze me how well Europeans speak/write English along with multiple other languages. You are another example of that special skill.

I hope to be backpacking in Normandy next year. I didn't plan on bringing climbing gear. If that plan changes, I'll let you know.

If you can make it to the Atlanta area, I can offer some cultural tips. One eats grits in the morning and drinks beer at night. Sometimes they overlap. All of the directions to climbs are based upon the location of pancake houses (crepe du maison). Apparently the women inside the pancake houses are incredible. I don't visit these places. I can only report what Wild Bill says.

Please report back on what you learn about Accrobranche®. As one can see from the website, their name is a registered trademark. The structure and influence of having Accrobranche® accreditation could be a benchmark for recreational tree climbing in the states.

Good luck on your quest to climb.

Regards,
JimK

• wildbill
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124272 by wildbill
Replied by wildbill on topic free climbing
Karin,

Do not believe everything that Jim K has written: true Southerners (particularly those of us in the greater Atlanta area -- I live 60 miles north of town) do not really mix their beer and grits.

The proper sequence is to visit the local Waffle House -- a greasy-spoon type of restaurant chain that is run by 250-pound waitresses named Debbie Lou, Becky Lou, Jennie Lou and Lulu -- and eat your grits before heading out into the forests for a day of tree climbing. Once the climb is completed, you then pop open a bottle of ice cold beer and begin to make up lies about how high you climbed that day. I find that my heighth in a tree increases about 15 feet with each bottle of beer.

I am also able to use this method in some foreign countries. For example, in the Republic of Panama I often stop by the Om Restaurant for breakfast and then head out into the rainforests or mangroves for a day of communing with the howler monkeys, green parrots, fer de lances, and crocodiles. At the end of the day I can belly up to the bar at Willie and Juany's restaurant and spout the only phrase I know in Spanish: "Dos cervezas, por favor!"

If you do come to Atlanta, join us for a climb.

Wild Bill Maher
Dawsonville, Georgia, USA

• Bradley Ford
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124275 by Bradley Ford
Replied by Bradley Ford on topic an alternative
Seeking professional instruction is probably the safest, best way to learn. An alternative that has not been mentioned in this thread, however, is to learn on your own from books and the web. Jeff Jepson's The Tree Climber's Companion (available from many sources, such as New Tribe Books & Videos web page ) contains, in my opinion, most if not all the information you need to know in order to climb safely. This book is both relatively inexpensive and written so that a beginner can understand it. And if you do have questions while or after reading it, you can always ask them here or at other free sites such as ArboristSite.com and TreeBuzz.com .

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124277 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Un autre chose
The French climbing site reports TCI as a link to review

http://www.accrobranche.org/

Click liens
Click sites a\ decouvrir

Regards,
Jim

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124368 by bareroots
Replied by bareroots on topic free climbing
free climbing is a circus trick i suppose

if it's what you do it's what you do

personally it's a meditation

i'd love to hear from anyone else that indulges

naturally i don't encourage anyone to do it. but i have to disagree with comments made that suggest that ropes liberate the experience.

enjoy your tree swinging in whatever form it takes.

seek treedom

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124370 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Anyone Recognize The Free Climber?
This last entry caught my attention. I magnified the photo. Anyone recognize him?

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124371 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic free climbing
Hmmm . . . looks vaguely familiar.

Before we jump to any conclusions, though, I think we should have someone who knows digital photography examine this picture closely: You may find it hard to believe, but I've heard that these photos actually can be faked!!

Peace.

Jim

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124372 by bareroots
Replied by bareroots on topic free climbing
i laughed so much i almost changed my mind about not thinking that i can afford the $20 ;)

seek treedom

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds