Climbing Rope type srt vs drt

• Whooper333
  • Whooper333's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #140064 by Whooper333
Climbing Rope type srt vs drt was created by Whooper333
I have a question about climbing ropes. What properties makes a rope a srt rope only? When you go to purchase rope, manufactures and suppliers list ropes in a srt, drt format, stating each rope to be used in this application only.

Some ropes the manufactures list as dual purpose ropes and can be used for both techniques. A example would be blue moon and drenaline. What rope properties give certain ropes their single climbing technique usage?

When it comes to srt only ropes, I have 200’ of extatic by teufelberger, it is listed by teufelberger as srt only. I don’t understand why? My rope has one sewn eye on it, it can easily be sent up over a limb back down to a saddle tied with a friction hitch with pulley or a friction device such as a rope runner pro and used as a drt setup.

Why is static listed as srt only. I have checked the hand on it, I can tie knots in it. I am not understanding why manufactures state it should be used for one climbing style only. I have the same situation with Yale scandere. Again I have tied knots in scandere, but it is listed as srt only. The 48 strand cover on scandere is quite smooth. Elongation of both scandere and xstatic are within drt limits. So what properties of these ropes make then srt only?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds