Helmet selection

• rcames2005
  • rcames2005's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 1 month ago #138285 by rcames2005
Helmet selection was created by rcames2005
Hello all. I have a question likely to start debate amongst everyone. Nonetheless which helmet do y'all prefer. I'm looking at a Ct helmet or possibly a kask super plasma or petzl alveo. The protons is out of my budget and I only do a few climbs for fun and such. I don't really have a good option to try before I buy so I am open to tips and suggestions. Thanks all.
Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #138287 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Helmet selection

rcames2005 wrote: Hello all. I have a question likely to start debate amongst everyone. Nonetheless which helmet do y'all prefer. I'm looking at a Ct helmet or possibly a kask super plasma or petzl alveo. The protons is out of my budget and I only do a few climbs for fun and such. I don't really have a good option to try before I buy so I am open to tips and suggestions. Thanks all.
Ryan

The three helmets below are excellent and in a reasonable price range, also some good sales going on right on some of these models;

Petzl Boreo
Petzl Elios
Black Diamond Half Dome

I have a Kask Super Plasma for work climbing, nice helmet but the inside top padding soaks sweat like a sponge, can get a bit dank on hot days.
-AJ
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by moss.

• rcames2005
  • rcames2005's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 1 month ago #138288 by rcames2005
Replied by rcames2005 on topic Helmet selection
I appreciate the advice. After looking over some things and some thought. I placed an order for a petzl vented vertex. I wear a hard hat for a living and didn't figure the "foam" style helmets were going to be very good with all the sweat. So I tried a suspension style lid. It should show up soon and I will try to report back how it all works.
Ryan

More
5 years 1 month ago #139304 by Andy Foster
Replied by Andy Foster on topic Helmet selection
I’ve found the best bang for your buck is the Forester Arborist Climbing Helmet sold by Forester Shop. They sell for $39.99 and they also carry the replacement suspension harness for the helmet as well. They are just like a petzel or kask but you are not paying for the fancy decals. They used to sell these helmets at the large arborist supply companies but have since stopped due to lower profit margins(they can’t make as much money selling them). Don’t let the price fool you it is an ANSI compliant class E helmet. I would never buy another helmet. It’s cheap to replace and I can speak form experience that this helmet works. I have taken several blows to the head and it always redistributes the force into the suspension harness. Spread the word. Unless you want a pfanner, don’t over pay for your hard hat.

More
5 years 1 month ago #139306 by Greenluck
Replied by Greenluck on topic Helmet selection
Another vote for the Black Diamond Half Dome. It's treated me well for several years. The price can be very reasonable if you can catch a sale.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds