Are throwline & throwweights worth it?

• Bushwhacker
  • Bushwhacker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
9 years 9 months ago #136851 by Bushwhacker
Are throwline & throwweights worth it? was created by Bushwhacker
I've tried everything lying around - fishing line, fishing weights, tennis balls with holes poked through them, dyneema cord... and I still can't get much height. Is it worth it to invest in the real stuff?

Do you think if I just get a bag and fill it with dirt/rocks, that would work just as well as any throw weight?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #136855 by Nimbadon
Replied by Nimbadon on topic Are throwline & throwweights worth it?
YES!!!!!!
For me throw line, throw bags and a line cube are essential to tree climbing
I spend enough time pfaffing with throw line, right tool for the task, after trying a few different types of bags I've settled on the Harrison Rocket. They just work, some bags will hit a limb and absorb the energy and fall back to earth. The Rocket however will glance off and keep going. Manipulation seems to be easier, it will roll over branches others pop over sending the bag where I don't want it.
I'm all for making my own gear when I can, if you find a way to make your own bags, I'd be keen to see them.

Oh and having 2 lines and 2 bags is handy if you get one horribly stuck and have to climb up and get it. ;)

More
9 years 7 months ago #136950 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Are throwline & throwweights worth it?
Good grief man! Part with your moldy money and pony up for 2 12oz and 2 14oz bags. Plus a 180' length of Zing-it. Cut 60' off the end so you have a smaller length to use up in the canopy.

I'm all for saving a buck too. But some times it's better to just buy the thing.

Ron

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #136953 by bradypus
Replied by bradypus on topic Are throwline & throwweights worth it?
What a funny question ! :D

You seem to like a lot the do it yourself thing, maybe would you enjoy investing in a awl and sewing your own throwbags. It will be cheaper and you'll be proud to have your own ones.

Forget about rocks and buy some iron balls (hunting ones are cheap and effective).

Anyway throwbags and throwlines are the way to go. Defenetly.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by bradypus.

More
9 years 7 months ago #136990 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Are throwline & throwweights worth it?
You will throw even higher using a 10 oz bag. 8 oz bags are good too if the bark isn't too rough. I prefer the stiffer "slick lines" like "target (neon)" or green "bullseye" line. Use the lighter more limber lines ONLY with a line cube as these lines tangle very easily.

Mono filiment lines with fishing reels are sometimes used out west with Big Shots (sling shot on fiberglass pole) or compound bows. Ranger Rick frowns on bows in the park however.
Treeman

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds