Tree camping: boat, hammock, or bomb shelter?

• tonytreeguy
  • tonytreeguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 4 months ago #136256 by tonytreeguy
I do not see a discussion on tree camping but I bet lots of you do it. I would like to know opinions about Tree Boat vs Hammock (like Hennesey) and bomb shelters (Metolius, Fish).

Specific questions regarding the bomb shelters:
Can one person lay in the two person bomb shelter without it tipping?
Does the canopy provide bug protection?
Is the canopy too hot for summer use or is it well ventilated?
Can the bomb shelter be tethered so as not to swing in the wind?
Is there a good supplier of all these types of shelters?

Thanks for thinking about this. I am very interested in your experiences.
Tony from Maine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #136258 by moss

tonytreeguy wrote: I do not see a discussion on tree camping but I bet lots of you do it. I would like to know opinions about Tree Boat vs Hammock (like Hennesey) and bomb shelters (Metolius, Fish).

Specific questions regarding the bomb shelters:
Can one person lay in the two person bomb shelter without it tipping?
Does the canopy provide bug protection?
Is the canopy too hot for summer use or is it well ventilated?
Can the bomb shelter be tethered so as not to swing in the wind?
Is there a good supplier of all these types of shelters?

Thanks for thinking about this. I am very interested in your experiences.
Tony from Maine.

I'm a Treeboat fan, much lighter and les bulky to carry for woods hikes than the portaledges (bomb shelters). Portaledges are much easier to hang, only one point of connection. Theoretically you should be able to tether a portaledge so it won't swing. Hennesey Hammocks are tough to get into at height, the bottom entry is made for ground level use. If you prefer sleeping on your back you won't like the Treeboat, it's great for side sleeping, very comfortable, but not for hours on your back.

Could you elaborate on what the "Canopy" shelter is? Assume it's some model or hammock or portaledge.
-AJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: tonytreeguy

More
10 years 4 months ago #136259 by moss
A New Tribe Treeboat is not difficult to rig but you have to work a little to find the best place to hang it in a tree. Requires approx. 11' of horizontal space between the attachment points on a tree. I've never failed to find a way to hang it in any tree, broadleaf or conifer.
-AJ

• tonytreeguy
  • tonytreeguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 4 months ago #136260 by tonytreeguy
Replied by tonytreeguy on topic Tree camping: boat, hammock, or bomb shelter?
Thanks for the info. By canopy, I am referring to the optional cover for the portaledge. It looks like a great way to keep out the severe elements while hanging out in a storm on a mountainside or glacier. But that will never be me. I just want to keep out the rain, wind, and bugs.

More
10 years 4 months ago #136261 by dk21208
Replied by dk21208 on topic Tree camping: boat, hammock, or bomb shelter?
First post, butI have a Hennessy hammock and thought I would chime in. Moss is right that it would be a challenge to figure out how to climb up through the bottom at height. I have not tried it, but it would take some skill to make sure you are safely entering and exiting. However, they now have a side zip version that would eliminate that issue. They are extremely comfortable to sleep in. The biggest complaint most people have about the Hennessy is that the rain fly doesn't provide adequate coverage in driving rain. I have never used it in those conditions so I can't confirm. Another quality hammock is Clark jungle hammocks. Their hammocks appear to be more durable and provide more reliable protection from the elements. They are harder on the body when sleeping because you can not lay flat inside them. Personally, I like these two designs because you get the hammock and shelter/bug protection as one easy to set up package. I covet the tree boat but by the time I can buy all the accessories I would want the price is getting steep for my budget. Portaledge is so far beyond my budget I wouldn't even consider it.

More
9 years 9 months ago #136735 by Nimbadon
Replied by Nimbadon on topic Tree camping: boat, hammock, or bomb shelter?
My vote is for the Hennessy! I have the side zipper version and entry and exit are no problem at all.
The zipper is in two halves so your safety tether can be passed between the two halves and still have full bug protection.
I hope that made sense;))
Set up is soooo easy, I've made a couple of whoopie slings with two rap rings on each, use an alpine clutch ( I think that's what it's called) to tension, few half hitches for back up.
You'll be choppin wood before your mate has his tree boat unrolled. ;)
Oh and the Hennessy packs up smaller than a sleeping bag.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds