Equipment for Tropical Rainforest climbing?

• rrsuro
  • rrsuro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 5 months ago #136238 by rrsuro
Hello,

I'm a recent grad who is volunterring at a research station in west borneo. I'm going to be doing some tree climbing for a research project. While I have experience rock climbing, it'll be my first time in the trees. I need to buy the equipment I need, but I'm on a budget. Can you suggest what I need to buy? I'm looking for dependable brands, but more on the budget side of thing - any recommended models for ascenders/ropes/harnesses? I'll probably be using SRT, because the trees I'm planning to climb can get pretty high. Also, I need tips for what equipment I need for rope placement. I was suggested a compound bow, but I don't know much more information. Any help?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #136239 by moss

rrsuro wrote: Hello,

I'm a recent grad who is volunterring at a research station in west borneo. I'm going to be doing some tree climbing for a research project. While I have experience rock climbing, it'll be my first time in the trees. I need to buy the equipment I need, but I'm on a budget. Can you suggest what I need to buy? I'm looking for dependable brands, but more on the budget side of thing - any recommended models for ascenders/ropes/harnesses? I'll probably be using SRT, because the trees I'm planning to climb can get pretty high. Also, I need tips for what equipment I need for rope placement. I was suggested a compound bow, but I don't know much more information. Any help?

Thanks!

Where are you located? Would be very helpful if you could do some climbs with a tree climber in your area to get an understanding of basic tree climbing technique and safety protocols, what you're asking sounds simple but it's not.
-AJ

• rrsuro
  • rrsuro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 5 months ago #136240 by rrsuro
Replied by rrsuro on topic Equipment for Tropical Rainforest climbing?
Thanks for the reply moss. I'm in Gunung Palung National Park, in West Kalimantan. We're based out of a town called ketapang.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds