Harness for overweight people

• wcman852
  • wcman852's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 7 months ago #136099 by wcman852
Harness for overweight people was created by wcman852
I am a beginner and have made a few short climbs. I currently have a rock climbing harness. My problem is that I am top heavy and tend to lean back when sitting in my harness. I have used webbing to make a chest harness but it is extremely uncomfortable.
I purchased a Black Diamond Vario Chest Harness. It is more comfortable put does not keep me up right enough. I know a tree climbing harness would be much more comfortable than my rock climbing harness but would it make difference on my leaning back problem? It appears that some of the tree climbing harnesses have more support for the butt and I think this might help but I'm not sure. I need to solve my physical discomfort problem before I make more advanced climbs. Any help or comments would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #136118 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Harness for overweight people
A New Tribe harness will be way more comfortable than a rock harness. You'll still lean back with extra upper body weight but if it's combined with a chest harness you'll be getting a better overall tree climbing system.
-AJ

• wcman852
  • wcman852's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 7 months ago #136121 by wcman852
Replied by wcman852 on topic Harness for overweight people
Thanks AJ for the response. I plan on buying a New Tribe Harness as soon as the funds become available.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #136122 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Harness for overweight people

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=2312

I find top heavy climbers that have a high center of gravity and thus tend to need to lean back away to give room for their arms to pull need a chest harness. I recommend the PETZL TOP CHEST HARNESS is super adjustable.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by TreeTramp.

More
10 years 6 months ago #136141 by GermanyBert
Replied by GermanyBert on topic Harness for overweight people
Petzl Navaho Bod would be a good choice.

More
10 years 5 months ago #136194 by eduardohildt
Replied by eduardohildt on topic Harness for overweight people
Hello friends. My name is Eduardo Hildt. I'm from Argentina.
My father has the same problem, and Petzl Avao Bod Croll Harness has not been the solution. It is more comfortable than a rock climbing harness, but does not solve the problem of the back to lean backwards. If the top (front) anchor is connecting to the rope with a carabiner, position is recovered but this is very uncomfortable.
We continue to seek a solution, to preferably not pass by no eat. haha.

Greetings and sorry for the poor english.
E.H.

More
10 years 5 months ago #136196 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Harness for overweight people

eduardohildt wrote: Hello friends. My name is Eduardo Hildt. I'm from Argentina.
My father has the same problem, and Petzl Avao Bod Croll Harness has not been the solution. It is more comfortable than a rock climbing harness, but does not solve the problem of the back to lean backwards. If the top (front) anchor is connecting to the rope with a carabiner, position is recovered but this is very uncomfortable.
We continue to seek a solution, to preferably not pass by no eat. haha.

Greetings and sorry for the poor english.
E.H.

A chest roller could work well for your father.
-AJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: eduardohildt

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #136262 by eduardohildt
Replied by eduardohildt on topic Harness for overweight people
Hello friends.
Moss, thanks for your suggestion. We use single rope technique. Finally found the solution with a top-harness homemade, build sewing slings and adding felt to make it more comfortable. This harness (not a life-saving element) passes under the arms and can be closed with a carabiner that attaches to the rope (like a chest roller), to the top hole of the Croll or to the carabiner of descender gear. Is very stable and confortable.

Greetings.
E.H.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by eduardohildt.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds