Rock Climbing Harness

• AlbusLux
  • AlbusLux's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
12 years 9 months ago #135454 by AlbusLux
Rock Climbing Harness was created by AlbusLux
Why is there such a difference in price between a rock climbing harness and a tree climbing harness? A high quality rock climbing harness is $150 max. $150 is not going to get you much of a tree climbing harness. Is it just the number of attachment points?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #135455 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Re:Rock Climbing Harness
That is good observation but real difference is comfort. Tree saddles are padded and strapped to you so you feel like you are in your Lazy-Boy. I can hang on rope all day and feel good. Try that with a rock harness and you be singing Saprano. Roughly rock harness are to hold onto your bones when you slip and fall. Gonna happen-Just DO IT-rubbing is racing-if you are not "pushing it" your a wimp.

In RTC you don't race, you just looking for a nice limb to take a little nappy.

Buy NewTribe and never be sorry; buy a nutbuster and start whining.

Dan

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #135456 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Rock Climbing Harness
A rock climbing harness would work in a pinch. I would say go for it if you are on a budget, already have one, or if you are only going to go on a brief climb. If it gets you in the tree safely.....why not?

Another problem with using a rock climbing harness is that it is lacking the side d rings. These additional tie in points are often used with an adjustable lanyard to create a secure second tie in point.

Some climbers may claim that they don't need or use the side d rings on their saddle. One manufacturer even sells a tree saddle without the side d rings last time I checked. I use mine on every climb. I would be lost without them. I believe that it offers tree climbers different options of securing themselves in the tree. That in my book is a good thing.

There are many different tree climbing harness manufactures out there with many different prices and styles.

Afterthought- A caving harness would work also and may be more comfortable than a rock harness to climb a tree with.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by greenluck.

• Orion
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 9 months ago #135458 by Orion
Replied by Orion on topic Re:Rock Climbing Harness
TreeTramp wrote:

Buy NewTribe and never be sorry; buy a nutbuster and start whining.

Dan, I love how you don't mince words... say it like it is :laugh:

But yeah, Tree Saddles are definitely more comfy. The New Tribe thigh straps provide way more support. Its a major difference.

More
12 years 4 months ago #135627 by crtreedude
Replied by crtreedude on topic Re:Rock Climbing Harness
I have an alpine harness, which is okay, not wonderful. It has plenty of places to hang gear off, since when climbing ice, you don't just climb, but have to work some. But, it isn't terribly comfortable. Since I don't live where I can easily get gear, has anyone ever tried modifying a rock harness to make it more comfortable? We have excellent leather workers here, they make saddles for horses, belts, etc all the time. What do you think, hard to believe it has to be stronger than a saddle - given the abuse a saddle goes through.

Obvious, when using anything like this, you have to go slow and low to begin with.

Another fault I see is no chest harness, but I am thinking that won't be that hard to make.

More
12 years 4 months ago #135630 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Rock Climbing Harness
crtreedude...a chest harness isn't really needed. Unless you're top heavy or have a bumb wing or some such thing. They are nice to have around though. Just in case.

More
12 years 4 months ago #135631 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Rock Climbing Harness
crtreedude wrote:

...has anyone ever tried modifying a rock harness to make it more comfortable? We have excellent leather workers here, they make saddles for horses, belts, etc all the time. What do you think, hard to believe it has to be stronger than a saddle - given the abuse a saddle goes through.

A tree climber in California added some New Tribe style leg pads to his rock harness. He used high density foam and a cover sewed with ripstop nylon or cordura fabric. You could make the same out of leather with no padding. Look at the leg strap pads on the New Tribe harnesses as a model.

The pads are added to the existing straps so there is no strength loss to the original harness.

By the way, take a look at the new NT Yellowjacket harness, great lightweight tree climbing harness and reasonably priced.
-AJ

More
12 years 4 months ago #135632 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Rock Climbing Harness
I would like to add that leather is pretty heavy and requires a lot of care. Leather can rot or mildew if it is not left out to dry.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds