Line mugs and various buckets

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133579 by Davej
Line mugs and various buckets was created by Davej
Can you really tolerate an 8 inch diameter bucket on your hip? That seems huge to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #133580 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Line mugs and various buckets
Any more specifics than that? What particular item are you referring to?

Davej wrote:

Can you really tolerate an 8 inch diameter bucket on your hip? That seems huge to me.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133581 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Line mugs and various buckets
I remember someone saying that they coiled their conduit sleeve inside their linemug along with a bunch of other stuff. That hints at around an 8 inch diameter. Seems like cylindrical is a popular shape for some odd reason, but I don't know how that would feel bouncing on your hip. I think I'm going to make a pouch that is deep and narrow... maybe 8x14x2\"... ???

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #133582 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Line mugs and various buckets
I never(well rarely) remove the friction savers from the rope ends. When the rope is stored in the rope Bucket at the end of the climb it stays with the rope. I usually carry both ends of the rope with me so they are ready to make a second pitch etc. Some people leave the rope on the ground instead and that is Ok too.

I climb sometimes on a tree that is right next to a trail so I put my rope in the rope backpack and take everything with me in the tree. As the rope pays out of the bag I would stop and re-stuff it right back in it. It does not take that much time and the people on the ground walk by without even noticing me up in the tree. :laugh:

I seen Moss hangs his Friction saver from a small prussic line on the side of his NT harness. Handy and does not take much time to do it.

My open linemug keeps mostly the throwline, some extra food, the grapnel,Medical kit, camera and maybe a grigri or a USHBA if I have it with me. The other closed one keep my water bottle.

Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by oldtimer. Reason: Add photo

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #133583 by moss
I've settled on this NT bag as my go-to storage on my harness:
NT zippered pouch

It's an excellent size and shape.

I have one always on the harness, contains headlamp, grapnel, grippy gloves, hitch cord etc. I have a second zippered pouch which contains everything I need for SRT climbing, it only goes on my harness when I'm actually doing an SRT climb.

I hang my sleeves from my harness while climbing (as Oldtimer mentioned). The only conduit sleeve that I know can be put in a small pouch on your harness is the 1/2\" inside diameter Dan House sleeve from NT. Since I have wrecked that particular sleeve in one climb, I don't use it, except the remains of that sleeve is now a short sleeve on my lanyard. Note: I torture conduit sleeves, many people use the 1/2\" ID Dan House sleeve for a long time no problem.

Davej wrote:

I remember someone saying that they coiled their conduit sleeve inside their linemug along with a bunch of other stuff. That hints at around an 8 inch diameter. Seems like cylindrical is a popular shape for some odd reason, but I don't know how that would feel bouncing on your hip. I think I'm going to make a pouch that is deep and narrow... maybe 8x14x2\"... ???

Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by moss.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133584 by Davej

oldtimer wrote:
My open linemug keeps mostly the throwline, some extra food, the grapnel,Medical kit, camera and maybe a grigri or a USHBA if I have it with me. The other closed one keep my water bottle.

Oldtimer, shouldn't the expensive stuff go in the zippered bag? I like the idea of a zipper, but I'm not sure.

More
14 years 11 months ago #133585 by moss
Davej wrote:

...shouldn't the expensive stuff go in the zippered bag? I like the idea of a zipper, but I'm not sure.

It's not so much whether things in your bag are expensive or not, it's more that you don't want anything falling out and hitting another climber below or a person on the ground. Drawstring, zipper, snap, tether, etc. whatever it takes to keep gear in your harness bag.
-moss

More
14 years 11 months ago #133586 by oldtimer
I have never lost or dropped anything from the open bucket yet. I actually dropped one water bottle while trying to stuff it back into the zippered bucket so I guess you just have to be careful either way. :dry:
All climbing gear is expensive and I would not like to drop it anyway so keep an eye on what I do and like Moss said you do not want to drop something on another climber or passerby.

More
14 years 11 months ago #133587 by moss
Ok, here's a scenario for you. You're descending through some close spaced branches. As you squeeze by the branches one of them catches the bottom of your \"open top\" harness bag. You feel resistance but try to keep going down figuring you can just push through. As you continue down the branch inverts the bag even though it's still attached to your harness and dumps some or all of the contents.

I seem to find myself in these sort of tight squeeze situations frequently enough that I prefer harness storage bags that can be closed up tight to avoid potential mishap. Mileage varies per climber and climbing style.
-moss

More
14 years 11 months ago #133588 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Re:Line mugs and various buckets
I too have had spills from open bags so one day I found at a horse tack store something called a \"Cantle bag\" for $6.99.

http://www.equishopper.com/p-6296-pro-craft-nylon-cantle-bag.aspx

Each end mini biner clips to the accessory rings on the sides of my harness and then wraps around my lumbar area like a fanny pack. Need to open it? Unclip one end and find a place in front of me to re-clip it. The whole bag is held in place upright in front of you with easy access and is LARGE.

Inside it I attached a length of cord with loops tie in it so the stuff that goes inside can be clipped in with mini biners.

There is a knive; flashlight; grapnal; throw bag on a chalkline reel; bubble bear; glow stick; cell phone case; etc. its a regular Swiss Army gear pack. On long climbs it carries my lunch; my water and snacks. A book to read and photocopies of new knots I and learning how to tie.

Everything a gearhound climber needs wants or has to have ready at my fingers tips.

See you at the top, (Nay-Whinny)
dan

More
14 years 11 months ago #133589 by oldtimer
Treetramp that \"Cantle bag\" is a regular backpack! :laugh:

I was under the idea that we want to \"travel light\". Does it fit the kitchen sink in there too?

Thanks for the bag idea.

My climbing is in mostly tamed trees and the chance of getting stuck or going thru small places is relatively small but I could see something coming out of the open bag if do not pay close attention.

P.S. Just received the \"Calender of Events\" from Bill and I see that you guys are having regular open climbs in the park now. Great job. I like the idea of the calender. It shows how much organized stuff is going on all the time all over the U.S. and even other countries.:laugh:

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133590 by Davej

oldtimer wrote:
I was under the idea that we want to \"travel light\". Does it fit the kitchen sink in there too?

Hay, that does look big. How big are those horses?

More
14 years 11 months ago #133591 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Re:Line mugs and various buckets
moss wrote:

Ok, here's a scenario for you. You're descending through some close spaced branches. As you squeeze by the branches one of them catches the bottom of your \"open top\" harness bag. You feel resistance but try to keep going down figuring you can just push through. As you continue down the branch inverts the bag even though it's still attached to your harness and dumps some or all of the contents.

I seem to find myself in these sort of tight squeeze situations frequently enough that I prefer harness storage bags that can be closed up tight to avoid potential mishap. Mileage varies per climber and climbing style.
-moss

I have two bags that are regularly on my harness, an elastic closure top bag (from sherrill) and an old LARGE linemug from NT. The one from NT is about the size you mention, and I really don't notice it, unless I sit on it as I'm resting. I tend to forget to close the NT bag, though, and I lost a lanyard once in just the manner you describe Moss. I ended up finding it on a return trip some months later, it bopped me on the helmet on my trip back up the tree, like it had been sitting there waiting for my return.

Dave, as far as carrying expensive stuff like cameras, that's really no worry. I climb with cameras, video and still, quite often. The trick is to always girth hitch the lanyard onto your harness as a safety precaution, and also to be very deliberate in it's use, think every motion through before you do it. I've not dropped either yet. That said, I haven't gotten brave enough to take up my DSLR, but perhaps someday I'll get brave.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #133594 by Davej
I don't know where my camera will go. I think it will have to go in its own bag and I'll keep the neckstrap tied on somewhere. I stopped by the local Goodwill \"recycled goods\" store on my way home and found a little $2 cloth bag with a zippered top about 10\"x8\"x2\" that should get me started. I'll need to sew the cloth handle down to form belt loops.
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by Davej.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds