Adding a rigging plate to a saddle

• Baker
  • Baker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #133336 by Baker
Adding a rigging plate to a saddle was created by Baker
This is a continuation from the \"website questions thread\". As Dave pointed out, we were in the wrong section, and I didn't even notice!

amigo_dreamer said:

So where or how would I go about sewing in a rigging plate to the saddle insted of using a carabiner to attach it?

baker said:

First: Welcome Amigo_Dreamer!

Next: STOP! YOU should never install that sort of thing yourself. Peter's Paw and others like it are custom sewn into saddles at the New Tribe factory. I'm not saying you can't have one, you can if you order your saddle that way. You should NEVER remove stitching and restitch a harness. That plate is your saddles direct connection to the rope and it's all that will keep you from falling to the ground from a far greater height than you would want to.

Remember too, that having such a device sewn into a saddle disables it's ability to be opened up all the way to put it on over oversize clothing or added _layer_s in colder weather. A saddle with a sewn plate must be donned by sliding it up over the hips rather than placing it around the waste like a belt. This reduces wearing options considerably. It also makes purchasing the saddle a bit more difficult - especially if you are ordering online or over the phone. You must be much more precise about the size you choose.

Davej said:

I wonder if you could simply use a very short loop of climbing rope tied with a double fisherman's? Either way I'd be nervous if the plate hole didn't have very rounded edges.

I wouldn't do that either. It's just adding another 2 links in an already complicated system - remember, he's a beginner. Besides I'm not sure where you would attach it on the saddle. I thought about the possibility of using 2 screw links or biners myself, but that's way to much hardware up front and because it would put your main attachment point so far out, your knot would be almost out of reach:ohmy: .

Solution: Using a large pear link on an NT saddle easily allows you to clip 3 biners. What more would you need?

Don't screw(link) with perfection! Let New Tribe do the job right.
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by Baker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #133338 by amigo_dreamer
Replied by amigo_dreamer on topic Re:Adding a rigging plate to a saddle
So when I went onto NT's website I didn't see where (on the site) I could add a rigging plate to a saddle, or is it somthing I would order over the phone with NT? :unsure:

More
15 years 1 month ago #133339 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Adding a rigging plate to a saddle
amigo_dreamer wrote:

...or is it somthing I would order over the phone with NT? :unsure:

Yep, NT's great for talking to you on the phone and doing custom work. Like Baker said, you want to be sure about your harness fit before having them do the modification. If you already own an NT harness you're all set, you know your size. If you don't, I would question adding the rigging plate without climbing on a stock harness first. You may find that a rigging plate is not needed. You can always send a stock harness back to them to have the modification done.
-moss

More
15 years 1 month ago #133340 by amigo_dreamer
OIC! :cheer: I didn's know they could do mods to saddles that have been purchased already. I see your point about trying the saddle first now. If I dont like specific things about it then I can have it modified.Thanks:woohoo:

More
15 years 1 month ago #133341 by amigo_dreamer
I called NT and they said the can only do mods on new(when they make it)saddles :(

More
15 years 1 month ago #133342 by moss
amigo_dreamer wrote:

I called NT and they said the can only do mods on new(when they make it)saddles :(

Try this, ask them if they can send you a harness for you to test for size (just hang on it, no climbing, the harness must go back in fresh new condition). They may even have a used harness that you can try just to hang into verify correct fit before you request a custom harness.

Otherwise just order the harness you want, climb on it for a year and then revisit the rigging plate question. I think the sewn-in rigging plate option is an advanced feature that you'd arrive at after quite a bit of climbing. Unless you're an experienced climber and know for sure you want it.
-moss

• Baker
  • Baker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #133343 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Adding a rigging plate to a saddle
FYI, amigo...

As a new climber I thought the idea of rigging plate was something I wanted too. When I ordered my saddle, I couldn't come up with the extra cash for the pear screwlink, let alone a PAW.

Now that I've used my saddle for almost a year and know what kind of climbing I do most, I no longer feel I need the plate. I just don't climb that technically. I did upgrade to the pear link though.
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by Baker.

More
15 years 1 month ago #133344 by amigo_dreamer
I spoke to barbara at NT and she told me the ONLY rigging plate they have been able to use is this one.(pic below)NO other rigging plate has worked for them. I just found it @ www.innermountainoutfitters.net for 43.00.
Attachments:

More
15 years 1 month ago #133345 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Adding a rigging plate to a saddle
Is this what you want?

Get new Tribe to install you one on a new saddle. They will do it for a price.

More
15 years 1 month ago #133346 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Adding a rigging plate to a saddle

oldtimer wrote:
Get new Tribe to install you one on a new saddle. They will do it for a price.

I'm glad Peter likes his plate but wouldn't it be a lot friendlier with a swivel below it?

More
15 years 1 month ago #133349 by moss
Davej wrote:

I'm glad Peter likes his plate but wouldn't it be a lot friendlier with a swivel below it?

Different style climbing, a swivel and a plate wouldn't go well together, too many connecting links to make it happen. If there was a plate with a swivel built into the bottom that might be cool. The problem with that is that a swivel shouldn't be \"levered\" from side to side. With a hard attached plate that would be a problem.

Not many rec climbers or work climbers for that matter like swivels for DRT climbing. I tried one for a while and ended up rejecting it for DRT use. I still use my swivel for attaching a Grigri for SRT rappel, it helps the Grigri play friendly with the pear screwlink on my Tengu.
-moss

More
15 years 1 month ago #133350 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Adding a rigging plate to a saddle
Well, there was this recent thread on Arboristsite with some photos...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=91913

More
15 years 1 month ago #133352 by moss
Davej wrote:

Well, there was this recent thread on Arboristsite with some photos...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=91913

That's one way to do it. One thing that happens when you start adding all this stuff besides creating more links in the chain and gear complexity is that it raises a bunch of metal right into your face, it can literally obscure your vision or whack you in the teeth at the wrong time. Treeman's NT solution with the plate sewn in keeps everything as low as possible. If you want swivel and a plate then you'll acquire some negatives for whatever benefits you gain.
-moss

More
15 years 1 month ago #133355 by amigo_dreamer
Yes Oldtimer thats the one! NT will ONLY add that plate and no other by any other manufact. Not even petzl's newer line of rigging plates.

More
15 years 1 month ago #133356 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Adding a rigging plate to a saddle
Just buy yourself one of those saddles with the removable bridge like the Butterfly II and you can install anything you like in the front. In some of those all it takes is an allen wrench to remove the bridge. Or in the Treemotion saddle the bridge is tied with a couple of knots on each side. It cost $600 but it is very adjustable and customizable to the climbers wishes! :dry:

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds