tight-eye-splice or not to tie-eye-splice

• mrand
  • mrand's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
15 years 1 month ago #133324 by mrand
was going to order 200 feet of poison ivy with a tight eye splice....then i wondered:

would what I thought to be a convenience end up a problem? how would I get the cambium saver on. after I get it rigged in the tree is it going to force me to climb facing outwards from the tree?
would it jsut be easier to tie the old figure 8

(climbing split tail system, and maybe eventually SRT with an ascentree)

thoughts?

thanks!!!
MIchael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #133326 by moss
mrand wrote:

was going to order 200 feet of poison ivy with a tight eye splice....then i wondered:

would what I thought to be a convenience end up a problem? how would I get the cambium saver on. after I get it rigged in the tree is it going to force me to climb facing outwards from the tree?
would it jsut be easier to tie the old figure 8

(climbing split tail system, and maybe eventually SRT with an ascentree)

thoughts?

thanks!!!
MIchael

You can just slide the sleeve on from the other end and leave it on the rope. It's not going to affect whether you face towards or away from the tree, if your feet aren't on the trunk you're going to spin a little anyway as you climb. A friend uses a conduit style sleeve with NE Ropes Tachyon and a tight eye splice, he's able to slide the splice through the 1/2\" inside diameter of the sleeve, sometimes with a little help, drops some cord through the sleeve and uses that to pull the splice through. Can't say you'd be able to do that with PI but it's a possibility.

Just curious, why 200 ft. of PI? That's going to be a heavy hank of rope and the length could be unwieldy for many climbing situations.
-moss
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by moss.

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #133327 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:tight-eye-splice or not to tie-eye-splice
I have a tie-eye-spliced on one side of my BLAZE rope ( done by Splices By NICK) and I almost never remove the Friction saver from the rope. It does not interferes on any way with my split tail climbing. I use the other end of the rope to advance the climb so there is another saver on that side of the rope at the start of the climb already tied with a figure-8 knot on that side.I really like this set up for my trees and climbing style. :laugh:

I am with MOSS on the 200 ft long rope. If your trees are not very tall why order 200 feet long rope? It weights a ton when you have to haul it away anyplace and when you climb the extra 50 ft long gets on the way most of the time. IMHO :lol:

Photo of both end of my rope

The left side is a lot bulky with the figure-8 knot, the right side shows the compact tie-eye splice.
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by oldtimer. Reason: Add photo

More
15 years 1 month ago #133328 by moss
Just to be clear, I'm not saying Michael shouldn't acquire 200 ft. of PI, just curious what the rationale is.

I'm still hanging in there not using spliced eyes on my climbing ropes, the reason is that I want the most options available in any climbing situation, ie: I like to have the simple bare end of the rope available. Spliced eye devotees will differ, different approaches and styles.
-moss

• mrand
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
15 years 1 month ago #133375 by mrand
thanks guys for the posts and replies. so I guess the 200 feet came from my desire to not be limited. I am going to climb some tall pine trees at some point in the near future.

what length do you recommend. I do like to go high!

michael

• mrand
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
15 years 1 month ago #133376 by mrand
the poison ivy rope comes standard 120' or 150' or more!

More
15 years 1 month ago #133377 by moss
mrand wrote:

thanks guys for the posts and replies. so I guess the 200 feet came from my desire to not be limited. I am going to climb some tall pine trees at some point in the near future.

what length do you recommend. I do like to go high!

michael

First question is which technique (DRT or SRT) do you intend to use to go high?

For DRT a 150' rope is generally accepted as an optimal length, any longer and you start to resent dragging all the extra rope around. Assuming you're climbing DRT the first branch can't be higher than 70' or so for a doubled 150' rope. If the first branch is 70' or lower you can re-pitch once you get up into the tree and there is no limit to how high you can climb in the tree.

If you plan on climbing DRT on trees with first branches regularly over 70' then a 200 ft. rope might make sense. However I would consider a lighter weight rope than PI if you want to go that route, like 11mm Blaze, 11mm Chameleon (from New Tribe), 11.5 Tachyon or 11mm Velocity.

If you plan on climbing the tall pines SRT then there are several options to consider technique-wise and that would affect your rope choice as well.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds