Edelrid Eddy

• Ace
  • Ace's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132945 by Ace
Edelrid Eddy was created by Ace
Just curious how many of you have tried this device and how you like it?
http://www.edelrid.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=284&Itemid=371

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132946 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Edelrid Eddy
Don't have it, but here's a review from another outdoor site I belong to.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/edelrid/eddy/review/14382/

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132947 by Baker
Oops, duplicate post.
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by Baker.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132964 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Re:Edelrid Eddy
The Eddy is used whenever I climb in a RADS setup.

My brother uses an Eddy all of the time since he climbs on a RADS.

The E is a great tool and an improvement over the GriGri. the handle will lock off in either direction if it's pulled too far. If the GG's handle is pulled the climber will drop/fall.

If the choice is between the Eddy and the GG there is no discussion...Eddy all the way.

If you have specific questions, ask me.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132966 by Baker
Can you post a pic of how to rig it in a RAD system? I want to set a RAD system up, but have neither a grigri or an Eddy. I'd like to see how they differ before making a purchase. Thanks!

More
15 years 4 months ago #132967 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Edelrid Eddy
Baker wrote:

Can you post a pic of how to rig it in a RAD system? I want to set a RAD system up, but have neither a grigri or an Eddy. I'd like to see how they differ before making a purchase. Thanks!

The difference is the \"over-pull\" lock-off feature that Tom described. Otherwise they function the same in a RADs or for any rope use.
-moss

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132968 by moss
Tom Dunlap wrote:

...If the GG's handle is pulled the climber will drop/fall.

Just want to clarify Grigri functionality in regard to the release handle and falling...

The climber will have uncontrolled descent if they do the following, all 3 conditions must be met simultaneously for the climber to fall:

1. Pull the release lever all the way down
2. Take the belay hand off the rope below the Grigri
3. Continue holding the lever all the way down (as in a panic situation)

Grigri functions as a \"hands off\" stop descender. If the climber releases the handle they will stop descending.

The fall scenario Tom describes assumes a panic situation where the climber refuses to release the lever and at the same time had not placed their belay hand on the rope before pulling the lever. Standard Grigri operating procedure is to always have a belay hand on the rope when pulling the lever to initiate descent.

Any climber using a Grigri for the first time should practice close to the ground and completely understand how to install it on the rope and operate it before attempting a rappel from height.
-moss
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by moss.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132970 by Tom Dunlap
Baker,

Please don't take this as a 'blow-off'.

I've posted pics of my SRT systems on various arbo/tree climbing forums. If you take the time to use the search feature here at TCI, Treebuzz and maybe some other sites you'll see what I use and at the same time learn soooo much more from other people who are using SRT.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Ace
  • Ace's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132975 by Ace
Replied by Ace on topic Re:Edelrid Eddy
What about the I'D? Would it be any better than the Eddy for rappelling?

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132976 by moss
Ace wrote:

What about the I'D? Would it be any better than the Eddy for rappelling?

Same functionality as the Eddy, just a lot bigger chunk of gear. I think the more compact Eddy has the potential to put the I'D out of business. The larger size I'D works with 1/2\" rope. The I'D has more mass than the Grigri or Eddy so it should theoretically disperse friction heat more efficiently.

I tried using the I'D but didn't like it because I kept on accidentally locking it up. This review of the Eddy mentions the same problem (in belay use, not rappeling):
Eddy review

Tom (if you're reading this), have you had any trouble with the Eddy locking on you when you pulled the lever too hard (when you would've preferred that it didn't lock)? The reviewer above mentioned that he found the sweet spot before locking too narrow.

If I was facilitating a beginner SRT climb I would want the climber's descender to have an auto-locking feature on over-pull. The question for me is does an experienced Grigri user need that feature?
-moss

More
15 years 4 months ago #132977 by Tom Dunlap
My opinions of the units using +/- as analysis comparisons

I'd
Heavy=-
Expensive=-
Can be opened without taking it off the harness=+
Large=-
Can be used for two person load=+
Complex reset after locking off...the user has to move the black handle back and forth over a wide ard=+/-
Must be oriented so that the rope exits 'up=-
The rope must be tensioned in order to move down the rope=HUGE MINUS This means no slack rope limb walks, weight has to be on the rope.

GG
Light=+
Cheap=+
Compact=+
If the lever is pulled and held the climber will drop/fall= BIG MINUS!!!
The user must know how to operate the unit...large learning curve= BIG MINUS
Under low/no load the rope can slip through which can/has lead to short falls/dops. The belayer MUST have their brake hand on the down rope=BIG MINUS

Eddy
Heavier...just a little more than GG=neutral
Mid price...just a little more than GG=neutral
Has lock off if the lever is pulled in either direction=HUGE PLUS!!!
Sweet spot is narrow/touchy..so what?!=+
Rope can exit 'down' to facilitate slack tending when moving 'in' or up the tree=HUGE PLUS
Cannot be used on half inch ropes=make the move to smaller ropes so that more of the rope access tools are compatible. I haven't climbed on half inch ropes since Fly debuted years ago.
Climber can 'thumb the cam' to self-belay in the same fashion that a belayer would give slack to a lead climber=HUGE PLUS
A friend had the E drop him a foot or so when he slipped because the cam didn't activate. In all of my, and my brother's experiences, we haven't had the Eddy slip...be careful.=caution!

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132978 by moss
Tom, thanks for taking the time to post the detailed comparison spec! Too bad we don't get paid for writing up this stuff! Where is the love (cash)? :)
-moss

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds