SRT Webbing Attachment to Ascenders

• Aerovet
  • Aerovet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132932 by Aerovet
SRT Webbing Attachment to Ascenders was created by Aerovet
Just joined TCI. Really enjoy learning from all the info and debates on gear usage. So ...... Just bought some CMI Expedition ascenders. I love the hand angle on them. I attached my webbing to them with some SS delta links. Within a few climbs I noticed ( go figure) that the SS was wearing into the aluminum on the ascenders. Also it's definitely not a quiet climb with the \"clanking\" around. New tribe and CMI (Texas climbing system) actually sew the webbing onto the ascenders. So I weaved my webbing through the ascenders and reattached the SS delta links through the webbing locking it in place.

Any thoughts out there for webbing attachment to ascenders .....SS links, biners, Spectra webbing, Petzl Express quickdraw, etc. ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132933 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:SRT Webbing Attachment to Ascenders
Obviously, SS is harder than aluminum, but I wouldn't worry about wearing the holes, in the ascenders, through any time soon. I've been using the same CMI ascenders for over 10 years. CMIs are beefy! There are some things you can do though. You can use aluminum biners instead of the SS links. Or, simply girth hitch the webbing through the holes in the bottom of the ascenders. Doing this will also solve your noise issue. Just remember to check the condition of the webbing from time to time.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132934 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:SRT Webbing Attachment to Ascenders
I do not have any metal or almuminun connection to my ascenders for the same reason you described. I moved right from the start away from the New Tribe made straps for two reasons. 1.- They are too short for my legs, and I did not wanted the noise and the carabiners damaging the ascenders. I will post a photo later on to see how I set up my system with store purchased loops from REI. They are Rated from 22kN and 27kN and they can be replaced individually if one gets chafed or damaged in any way instead of having to purchase a complete new set of connectors.

If you use a rated short loop you will likely be safe. I always advise new climbers to get training form someone that is capable to do the training and to follow all the safety protocols carefully. If you are new to climbing I suggest you become proficient in DRT firts before advancing to SRT.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132935 by Ace
Replied by Ace on topic Re:SRT Webbing Attachment to Ascenders
Would using a piece of 10mm rope be an option? Very simple to make one.

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132936 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:SRT Webbing Attachment to Ascenders
Ace wrote:

Would using a piece of 10mm rope be an option? Very simple to make one.

Sure. Or 9,8,7 or 6mm for that matter. 10 might be bit hard to thread, doubled, though the ascender hole.

I use a purcell made from 6 or 7mm static line as my foot loop. As long as the loop created in step 3 is large enough, the purcell can be attached to the ascender hole via a girth hitch.

For those not using ascenders, but still wishing for an adjustable foot loop, the purcell is designed to be hitched directly to the climbing.

Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by Baker.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132937 by Ace
Replied by Ace on topic Re:SRT Webbing Attachment to Ascenders
I made mine with 10mm rope. I tied a fixed loop through the hole of the ascender. Similar to this one:

More
15 years 4 months ago #132938 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:SRT Webbing for the Ascenders

my system with store purchased loops from REI. They are Rated from 22kN and 27kN and they can be replaced individually if one gets chafed or damaged in any way instead of having to purchase a complete new set of connectors.

View of the loops

More
15 years 4 months ago #132941 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Re:SRT Webbing Attachment to Ascenders
Alternatively, you could fit a piece of PVC in the 'biner hole as a sort of silencer and wear-distributor.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Aerovet
  • Aerovet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132949 by Aerovet
Replied by Aerovet on topic Re:SRT Webbing Attachment to Ascenders
Great suggestions.

Thanks and safe climbing.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds