Tubular Webbing Loop Runners, I never knew!

• Culinarytracker
  • Culinarytracker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132846 by Culinarytracker
Tubular Webbing Loop Runners, I never knew! was created by Culinarytracker
I got a couple sewn nylon loop runners. One is 26\" and the other is 36\".

I always knew these would be handy things, but I am surprised at how handy they really are.

The 26\" is just a little too short to girth around most larger branches, but it is great over smaller branches as a handhold, or step. I also love this one for girthing onto a thermos, or other gear that I am going to haul up with me. It just hangs below me enough when I climb that it's out of the way.

The 36\" however fits over most branches around here, and has proven to be a highly used piece of gear. Here's some things that I've found useful.

1 - It's cold out here right now, and holding onto a little nylon loop that's girth hitched around a nearby branch keeps my hands MUCH warmer than holding onto the branch itself.

2 - Everything listed in The Tree Climbers Companion is obviously great. I haven't used them for a redirect yet, but I'm looking forward to it :)

3 - I've found that along with a lanyard of decent length, a couple webbing loops can comprise an entire climbing system.
I'll make a separate post in climbing techniques about this one.

4 - It's amazing the number of times that I go ahead and loop them onto something to secure it somewhere. I never did any of this before I got them, but having them makes it convenient. For the price, I don't think there's a more useful way to spend a few bucks.

Carl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132848 by moss
Agreed. I always have at least one on my harness, for tall conifer climbs several. They're very handy in tree camping to hang gear. Very useful to use a pair in series to create steps for a limbwalk on an upward angled branch. I use slings to do controlled drops when pruning deadwood, I think the uses are pretty much unlimited for a very light and compact piece of gear.
-moss

More
15 years 4 months ago #132969 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Tubular Webbing Loop Runners Uses Ideas

Here is a nice video of the many uses for loop runners in a tree climbing or clearing situation. They definitely can be used for many more ideas in a REC situation versus what is shown in this Arborist work video.
I hope that enjoy and learn something in the mean time. Please post some of the situations that you have personally used then like setting up a tree boat, redirecting a climbing line etc. It is beneficial to new climbers to see these things in use correctly in tree. :cheer:

• Culinarytracker
  • Culinarytracker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132972 by Culinarytracker
Replied by Culinarytracker on topic Re:Tubular Webbing Loop Runners Uses Ideas
I really like the idea of using them to stow away the climb line. I never would have done that before, but the loops/lanyard combo is such a powerful climbing system that I find myself leaving my climb line behind for entry and exit of the tree only. Sometimes I just like to pull it all up so it isn't flapping around down there anyway.

Carl

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds