A.R.T. Positioner, it's great!

• Culinarytracker
  • Culinarytracker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132842 by Culinarytracker
A.R.T. Positioner, it's great! was created by Culinarytracker
Well, I have it in my possession now, and have a few climbs in on it. It took some getting used to, but I have to say, I couldn't be happier with my overall lanyard purchase.

It ended up being right at 25 foot long Blaze with a hand spliced eye tight enough to just squeeze in a carabiner on one end. The other end is left alone and I tie a stevedore stopper knot.

I've also just added the self releasing throwing knot into my arsenal of tricks. I LOVE IT! I can hit a tie in up to 12' up with a great throw, and that uses every inch of the Blaze.

The cordura tubular webbing is a functional friction saver, but I'm finding that it works off the branch and wants to slide down and get in the way more often than not. I'm thinking about going to a local leather shop and having them make a thinner and lighter weight version of the leather cambium saver that has the curved shape so that it won't slide down the rope. I'd want it as thin and unobtrusive as possible, but I just hate it sliding down and being in the way. It scared the Bujeebies out of me when I reached up to grab the line one time and grabbed the webbing that had slid down.

The Positioner itself took a little getting used to. OK, I'm still getting used to it, but I can tell that it's an awesome design. I also realized that the Spyderjack is simply a heavier duty super version of the same design with a thumb lever on the back. I bet it would be great as well. The swivel attachment would be very very very recommended, but it's $95, and that's just hard to understand. It better be one fine swivel, that's all I can say.

Also, I've developed a great way to tie up the lanyard for carrying into the tree. I start by pulling the rope through the positioner all the way to the stopper knot, then I tie a throwing knot with 6' of the end with the splice, running the carabiner through the loop at the end to hold it. The remaining loop is daisy chained, and the bottom of that can be hooked into the biner as well for a really neat tight pack that is ready to throw as soon as I get into the tree.

Carl

P.S. Thank you everyone for the recomendations in lanyard designs. Especially you Moss for pointing out that I needed to rethink the length.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by Culinarytracker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds