Comfort difference between NT Basic and NT Tengu?

• stevjaty
  • stevjaty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132833 by stevjaty
Subject says it all. Is there a major difference in comfort between these 2 saddles? Right now they are about $100 difference in price. I am not concerned about weight or noise, just comfort and if all things are roughly eager, I was planning on going with the basic.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132838 by Culinarytracker
Replied by Culinarytracker on topic Re:Comfort difference between NT Basic and NT Tengu?
If price and comfort are what you're looking for, you gotta check out the special that newtribe is running on the basic with side D's,
http://www.newtribe.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=139

$119.00 is unbeatable! They don't have the extended leg straps, and if you really don't care about weight or noise, the Tengu is probably only a little bit more comfortable (because of the legstraps) than this special deal.

Carl

• stevjaty
  • stevjaty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132839 by stevjaty
Carl, thanks. I went ahead and got the basic. I was afraid the sale would end on me:cheer: I went up about 30 feet today in my Black Diamond harness and am looking forward to something with a little more padding.

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132840 by Culinarytracker
Replied by Culinarytracker on topic Re:Comfort difference between NT Basic and NT Tengu?
I'd also point out however that you'd be missing out on the quick release leg strap buckles, which I would hate to loose.

You should call newtribe and chat with them before you make your order, I'm quite sure they'd be happy to answer any questions you have. They are a great to deal with company.

I wish I would have called before I bought my tengu, they probably would have told me to get a medium, but I was in a hurry and just ordered a small, and now I extend the belt with screwlinks to make it fit properly. It's no big deal, but it makes a bit of noise, and I knew I should have called and asked which size would be better for me. (my size was right between)

Carl

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132841 by Culinarytracker
Ok then :)
I'm sure you'll be quite happy. I've climbed in the black diamond harness. The new tribe will make you a much happier climber.

Carl

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132843 by Baker
My 2¢...

One very important difference between the two saddles is the padding. the basic uses single density padding and a square cut waist belt that I have read can cut into the climbers side. The Tengu, which I have, utilizes dual density padding and a round cut, longer waist pad. Very, very comfortable without the actual waist belt digging into your ribs or back.

As far as the quick release leg straps - it really sucks to drag your muddy boots through closed straps and then, sit in the mud you just deposited on the leg pads. Quick release straps eliminate this unpleasantness. You just wrap the straps around the leg and clip.
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by Baker.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132867 by moss
I missed this thread before you ordered. As indicated by Baker, the NT work saddles (like the Tengu) give you much more back and leg support with the firmer and wider padding. I did my first two years of climbing on the NT Basic with side D's, it was fine. Once in awhile it made my back sore. I'll use an NT Basic for minimalist climbing. You can always upgrade to a heavier duty harness down the road and have the Basic as a backup or guest harness.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds