Gear Sale

• oldtimer
  • oldtimer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #132625 by oldtimer
Gear Sale was created by oldtimer
I was looking at my recent e-mails from Sherill notice that they have some saddles on saddle (the old new tribe models - Ness Work Saddle) from previous company owner and founder. They are yellow color material but the price after the 10% discounts appear to be a good deal to me. Check them out before they are gone.
http://gear.sherrilltree.com/

New climbers and people with local climbing schools could use these saddles without any problem.

Use Promo Code: BARGAIN

:laugh:
Last edit: 15 years 5 months ago by oldtimer. Reason: Added Changes info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #132626 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Gear Sale
Item number?

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #132627 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Gear Sale
Davej wrote:

Item number?

Size large \"Ness Work Harness\" - Item: 27574

Size small \"Ness Work Harness\" - Item: 27570

No size medium availalbe in this sale.

I wish there was a side or back view photo to see what the harness belt configuration is. Also, I can't tell from the Sherrill photo if this is a jazzed up NT Basic or if the belt padding and legstrap padding is heavier duty same as the NT work harnesses. You could probably ask New Tribe for the specs on the harness, just ask them what the \"yellow\" NT harnesses that they made for Sherrill match up to in the current NT catalog.
-moss
Last edit: 15 years 5 months ago by moss.

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #132628 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Gear Sale
I can't really tell either, but the leg pads DO look like they might be like the basic saddle's, with no extensions. I'm not particularly fond of the color ;), but these might be nice for beginners or classes, like oldtimer said.
Last edit: 15 years 5 months ago by Baker.

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago #132629 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Gear Sale
I am under the impression that these may be heavier duty saddles than the basic NT saddle and it has the aluminun D-rings that are not found on the basic model. I am not sure if these are made By Ness ( the original owner of New Tribe in Partnership with Sophia) or if they are old models that new tribe still has and they are trying to sell thru Sherrill. They could be tinted with different darker green color or to be used in a school in that case the oolor is pretty much irrelevant since most the small saddles are red color anyway.

More
15 years 5 months ago #132630 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Gear Sale
NT does a basic with side Ds too.

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago #132631 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re: Gear Sale
A couple of observations on the \"Work Saddles\" listed at Sherrill.
The color is bright yellow! So what! Some people wear red color ones and bright blue ones.

plus so this one is a better deal for a similar saddle without all the extras. This same saddle is listed at New Tribe for $250. The extra attachments and loops are extra charges. This saddles do not have the extended leg pads ( I think). A call to the dealer would solve the question.:dry:

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #132633 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re: Gear Sale
Whoa there, oldtimer. I was just voicing my opinion on the color, that's all. (Did you see my ;-)?) The $ is a good deal. If the sew quality is as good as the current NT saddles, the color doesn't matter. Like Tengu, I too like to \"Keep my visual impact low\". I guess if one were to use this saddle in the fall, in certain species of maple, it would blend in then as well. ;-) ;-)

Nothin' but love for ya' oldtimer. I value your opinions as much as anyone's. Keep the good advice comin'

Baker :-)
Last edit: 15 years 5 months ago by Baker.

More
15 years 5 months ago #132634 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Gear Sale
oldtimer wrote:

I am under the impression that these may be heavier duty saddles than the basic NT saddle and it has the aluminun D-rings that are not found on the basic model. I am not sure if these are made By Ness ( the original owner of New Tribe in Partnership with Sophia) or if they are old models that new tribe still has and they are trying to sell thru Sherrill. They could be tinted with different darker green color or to be used in a school in that case the oolor is pretty much irrelevant since most the small saddles are red color anyway.

Looking at the photos again, that's the work weight belt and leg pads, the NT Basic has squared off ends at the front of the belt. The harnesses are made by New Tribe and have the expected build quality. In the arb world they still call NT harnesses \"Ness\" harnesses. The price is excellent, the color is irrelevant if you want to get a good harness at a good price.
-moss

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago #132635 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re: Gear Sale
Sorry guys, I came across a little bit testy on my last post about he saddle color but that was not my intention. I write not to offend and read as not to be offended!
I am glad that I started this tread because sometimes I get E-mails and up dates on stuff others do not get and I just past the info along to the potential users. Someone was recently thinking of buying a new saddle (DavidJ, I think ) and I am not sure if he got one already. Hey David show us some pictures of what you finally purchased.Please..............!

More
15 years 5 months ago #132636 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re: Gear Sale
oldtimer wrote:

Someone was recently thinking of buying a new saddle (DavidJ, I think ) and I am not sure if he got one already. Hey David show us some pictures of what you finally purchased. Please..............!

Oh, I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. My old lineman's sling isn't too uncomfortable if I get it positioned just right, and I could add a layer of foam to it.

More
15 years 5 months ago #132637 by sophiasparks
Replied by sophiasparks on topic Re:Gear Sale
Hi everyone!
Tim Kovar tipped me off about this thread, and I'm glad he did. I can tell you that Sherrill's sale saddle is indeed made by New Tribe with all the quality you want. They are selling off old inventory here, which is why the price is so great. The first time Sherrill carried our saddle, they asked for the Work Saddle made in yellow with green webbing, to match the Sherrill colors. The arbo guys didn't like the color, so the saddles didn't sell well to that crowd. That's why they have remainders now.

Yes, the original name of New Tribe's saddles was Ness, named for Tom Ness whose inspiration brought the first comfortable saddles to tree climbing. Yes, the pads on this sale saddle are the thicker, firmer pads we use on work saddles. No, the legstrap pads do not have the extension to the inner thigh. These saddles were made before we started doing the extended legpads. No, the D-rings are not aluminum--they are forged steel rated for life-safety. Only the accessory rings are aluminum, made for carrying gear, not your life.

Now I think New Tribe should consider doing seasonal colors for all our saddles, what do you say? Purple, orange, and yellow for fall, white for winter, pink and apple green for spring...

wishing you trees,

sophia
new tribe

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago #132638 by oldtimer
Well Nice to see New Tribe is reading some of our crazy stuff from time to time. I being an \"oldtimer\" around here I remember bits and pieces of the story of the \"yellow work saddles\", so that is the reason for some of my posting but I got most of it correct.

They are same good quality as all New Tribe Saddles!
They are a BARGAIN!
They are Bright Color with Incredible Green stitching - How cool is that.:laugh:
The D rings are alum-errrr....Metal! Yeah that's what I meant
They do not have the fancy Leg pads support - but they are ok anyway. Hey my first saddle did not have those either and It is still being used by my relatives in South America! they are not complaining either.
Some people are going to get a great bargain out of this sale for sure. :cheer:

Check out my personal arsenal of saddles.

May be I get a Yellow one also>

• pattyjenkins
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 5 months ago #132640 by pattyjenkins
Replied by pattyjenkins on topic Re:Gear Sale
I love to see all this commentary on saddles, guys. How 'bout reviewing the saddles on the \"Gear Rater\" so that the folks who are looking for the type of info you're giving can find it.

I'm happy to put up other gear for review, too. Please just ask. We really do want the Gear Rater to be a good, comprehensive resource for the entire tree climbing community.

Thanks!
patty

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #132641 by oldtimer
Well the issue with these particular saddles is that there is only a few available (maybe a couple at most). Most of them were special ordered so no many people has one other than the manufacturer and Sherrill and by the time we complete a \"formal\" review they will be out of sale and starting a new item to review would not be productive IMHO. :blush:

Sophia indicated and clarified the basic issues of excellent quality and the reason why they were made (yellow) which was my main issue with my lack of personal knowledge on the item. The fact still remains that they are potentially a great deal for a new climber at the present prize Sherril has indicated in their \"Bargain Basement Items\".

The similar saddles that we have reviewed on the \"Gear Rater\" provide a good summary of the experiences from people that have similar saddles ( other than the Yellow Color of course.) :laugh:

Maybe I should order one to add to may rainbow collection!
Last edit: 15 years 5 months ago by oldtimer.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds