Conduit rope sleeves - again

• Baker
  • Baker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132581 by Baker
Conduit rope sleeves - again was created by Baker
I'm sure there are like 20 other sections on this subject, but I simply didn't feel like looking through all the older posts.

An electrician friend of mine gave me a pretty long section of 3/4\" Liquidtight conduit. I'd like to attempt making a couple of sleeves, but I'm not sure how to cut the stuff. I saw a cutter in my local hardware store, but it cost $40. Is there a home-grown way to do this effectively?

I think I found an outlet for end caps too. I'm going to go check out a large electrical supply shop tomorrow or Friday. The Manufacturer listed them as a store that carries the part number I need.

Can someone please post a couple of good photos of their sleeve ends so I can show the store what I am looking for.
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by Baker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132582 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Conduit rope sleeves - again
I cut mine with a regular hack saw and filed away any small pieces left. Since the end pieces will be completely enclosed inside the end caps it does not make any difference how you cut them. I would not spend $40.00 in a special tool for the job or ask you electrician friend how he cuts his and tell him to do it for you.
Pictures of my home made sleeves. :)

The one on the left is my first one made with end caps from Home Depot (no good). The next one has an end cap from Dan House and the other black ones with yellow tapes are made by DHouse.
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by oldtimer.

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132583 by Culinarytracker
Replied by Culinarytracker on topic Re:Conduit rope sleeves - again
Baker Wrote:

An electrician friend of mine gave me a pretty long section of 3/4\" Liquidtight conduit.

I've looked in my local hardware stores, and have not seen anything like what I've seen these sleeves made of. Is this the proper name for this kind of conduit? I have another place I go when I need weird electrical parts. If I can find these parts, I might just see how good of a deal I can get, and buy up a roll of it. (It might be obvious right now that I have NO IDEA how much this stuff might cost.)

On a cheaper note, I love the idea I just saw on one of these forums, of twisting up some cardboard (other materials might be better) and wrapping the heck out of it with duct tape. I don't see why this wouldn't work just fine. I'm definitely going to recommend (aka demand) it strongly to a friend of mine who currently climbs \"Bare Roped\".

Carl

• Baker
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132584 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Conduit rope sleeves - again
Liquidtight is the trade name. It comes in a non-metalic version too, but that wouldn't work - too much friction. You can get the metal stuff at Home Depot.

I got some standard connectors, but thay are hex shaped and do not have a cup that would go over the tubing. I might try to make a sleeve out of them anyway. Maybe I'll grind the points off of the hex so they don't damage the bark. Maybe epoxy them into the tubing too. If it doesn't work...what the hell, the stuff was free!
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by Baker.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132585 by oldtimer
One more photo of my friction sleeves.
I made the 2 gray color ones, the black ones I bought from Dan House. The gray color one on the left has end couplings from home depot that is rather heavy and not as slick as the ones I got from Dan H. :)

Final Note: I permananetly glued the end caps to the sleeves with a very strong permannent glue. I assume that when they are old there is not point of trying to reuse the end caps since they are pretty well worn out.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132586 by oldtimer
I you contact Dan House he may be able to sell you a few of the correct end caps from his personal supplies. The hexagonal ones do not work worth the money you pay from them. They are heavy and come loose and they do not go over the branch easily. The right part will do a better job and they are not that expensive even if you pay for the shipping from Kansas. :laugh:

• Baker
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132587 by Baker
I like how you take of your gear. But c'mon, a pillow for your sleeves it a bit extreme!;)

The stuff I got from my friend looks exactly like your grey sleeve.

When you assembled your sleeve, do you remember what the threaded insert looked like? Was it hex shaped? What if I just epoxy'ed this piece into the sleeve and tightened it up? Would it work? When I threaded this piece into the conduit, the points of the hex barely protruded past the outer diameter. I could be (very) wrong, but it seems this would be all that is needed.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132588 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Re:Conduit rope sleeves - again
I never get tired about talking about tree tools or toys. I applaud your efforts to acquire the best cambium protection and will gladly sell you the end ferrules for your conduit. Send me a note: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with how many you need and I will quote you a price. Be sure to cut some short ones to use on your lanyard and you will be the envy of many other climbers.

See you at the top,

Dan

FYI the gray colored conduit can come in standard flex or Extra-Flexible specs.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132589 by oldtimer

When you assembled your sleeve, do you remember what the threaded insert looked like?

The end caps with the hexagonal shape(HoemDepot types)screw into the metal hose but they do not over the end of the hose lip like the ones I got from Treetramp.

I used JB Weld to permananently attach them to the gray color conduit. Not need to even tape them that way since they will never come out.

I take good care of my gear and the pillow is standard treatemnt for them when they are resting between climbs!

My gear resting!

End caps view

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132590 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Conduit rope sleeves - again
Well, here's the main message thread on the black sleeves...

http://tinyurl.com/6lk8l7

What I'm curious about (and maybe this has been explained before) is what happened to the grey sleeves that preceded the black sleeves? They weren't as flexible but they seemed to be very popular. Did that grey conduit become unavailable?
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by Davej.

• Baker
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132591 by Baker
The grey conduit is still available. I think you can get it at Home Depot. That's the kind my friend gave me. It is kinda heavy though.

I think the black conduit gained popularity because it was lighter, thinner, and more flexible. It seems though, from reading here, that it isn't as robust as the grey.

For now, I think the heavier grey material will serve me well. I have a couple of leather sleeves and a friction saver for my personal use. I'm planning on using the conduit sleeves for public climbs.

• Baker
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132592 by Baker
TreeTramp wrote:

FYI the gray colored conduit can come in standard flex or Extra-Flexible specs.

I must have the standard version. I figure it has a minimum radius of about 8-10 inches.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132593 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Conduit rope sleeves - again
Baker wrote:

I must have the standard version. I figure it has a minimum radius of about 8-10 inches.

And that is good enough for you? I would have guessed everyone would want a six inch diameter.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132595 by oldtimer
The smaller diameter black material became more popular because they are more flexible, easier to instal on the tree and easier to store inside a bag.
There is nothing wrong with the older model gray color ones as a matter of fact I have still about 5 of those that I use from time to time or to invite a friend climbing etc. They work fine and were easy to make and are stronger than the new black ones. A good tool if you buy or make them yourself.

• Baker
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132596 by Baker
Davej wrote:

Baker wrote:

And that is good enough for you? I would have guessed everyone would want a six inch diameter.

I just checked. I can get a 5.5 inch dia bend out of these without applying too much pressure. I'm guessing under load, I could get an even tighter bend.

I never thought about actually measuring the bend, but then again, I wouldn't be measuring a TIP prior to using it either.

I've been doing some work on my sleeves and I'm convinced that the original hex-shaped stock insert can be ground round and used with confidence. Not only have I gotten the corners off of the hex fitting, but with a die grinder, I can also create a radius on the entire outside edge so that the sleeve will slide more easily over the TIP. God I love air tools!:blush:

I'll post pics later to see what y'all think.

It would have been easier to grind the fittings round prior to installation. But since I used Devcon 30 minute, 2000 lb. epoxy to hold the ends in place, I'll just have to do the best I can with them attached. :S

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds