Newbie Gear

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132496 by Davej
Newbie Gear was created by Davej
I keep records of all my various hobbies in spreadsheets and the one for climbing is looking a bit sad. I've now reached the expenditure level of a climbing kit, which would have gotten me a nice new respectable set of everything. But unstead of that my piecemeal purchases have resulted in a much less impressive collection of gear with a much higher percentage of funds going to shipping charges and oddball things which I may not need.

Be forewarned!:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #132499 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Newbie Gear Cost
You will definitely get a better deal buying a complete set of gear in one purchase and pay only one charge for Shipping & Transportation even better if you are close to a Vermeer Dealer you can pick up the whole mess there and there is not charge for Shipping. If you order from New Tribe they have some specials (Door One)from time to time and that would save you some money too.

This hobby only gets more expensive with time so I would suggest you make a separate portion of you spreadsheet for gear purchases since the more you climb the more you want new \"gear\" (Toys are not Tax deductible as you know by now). :angry:

Also check with Sherill before ordering to see if they have any specials at that time they are very helpful on line or by phone. The same with new Tribe. I have ordered stuff from Wesspur and have been happy with their prices and delivery so there are many options. Get Peter's Basic Climbing Video first that will give you a lot of basic info before you take the punge into a bunch of gear that you will not use later. Also some of older climbers can offer you some deals on stuff they do not use any longer like friction savers, split tails and stuff like that we fabricate ourselves.
Read the Gear reviews posted on this site. There is a lot of good ideas (mostly mine,:P hehehehe) that are great, even a video from Nick on one Fancy saddle. How cool is that?
Hope this helps a new climber save some money and get some nice gear set ups.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132504 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Newbie Gear Cost
oldtimer wrote:

if you are close to a Vermeer Dealer you can pick up the whole mess there

I just noticed that on the Sherrill site. What do they have? According to the lookup there is one maybe ten miles from me.

This hobby only gets more expensive with time

Well, there are other hobbies competing against each other.

I have ordered stuff from Wesspur and have been happy with their prices and delivery

Yes, I just placed an order with them yesterday. More rope, thimbles, another cambium saver, etc.

Read the Gear reviews posted on this site

I have been looking them over. Not enough votes yet to really give much direction.

even a video from Nick on one Fancy saddle. How cool is that?

I will see that eventually.

Hope this helps

Yes, thanks.

More
15 years 6 months ago #132506 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Newbie Gear Cost
Quote\" What do they (Vermeer)have? According to the lookup there is one mabe ten miles from me.\"
They basically have the same stuff Sherrill has or they can order it from Sherrill and have it for you for pick up. They also sell heavy equipment for Industrial jobs if you need something large like a WoodChipper or mulcher or a stump remover! hehehehe

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132514 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Newbie Gear Cost
oldtimer wrote:

They basically have the same stuff Sherrill has or they can order it from Sherrill and have it for you for pick up. They also sell heavy equipment for Industrial jobs if you need something large like a WoodChipper or mulcher or a stump remover! hehehehe

Alright, I called them and indeed it is as you say. They have a selection of the top selling stuff and can order anything else with their weekly stock orders. In 7-10 days you get what you want with free shipping.

I was getting a little steamed last night because I had a small Sherrill order of just a few small things and the shipping was going to be $14 which was about 30% of the total order!

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds