Going Ultralight...a radical paradigm shift

• SRT-Tech
  • SRT-Tech's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128360 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Going Ultralight...a radical paradigm shift
Tiejien rope works. one of the biggest manufacturers of rope (all kinds). maker of many of the ropes that are sold worldwide, under notable brand names.

The Black Widow line is out, I've chosen a Technora rope 3/8" x 150 feet (18,000lbs load rating, 4.4 lbs rope weight,)

yes its a fully static line. For fall protection when walking in the limbs i'm using a "screamer" tether, with adjustable tail for looping around limbs and trunkcs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128362 by SRT-Tech

Originally posted by moss
There is a conversation going on Tree Climbers Coalition that has some relevance to this thread. In the first post Jbird starts off with: "I wish that new climbers would endeavor to build a solid foundation for their climbing skillset on known techniques before they rush into experimentation prematurely."

The point being that we all appreciate innovation but for the innovation to make sense in tree climbing it helps if the innovator gets some hours in trees using the current accepted techniques. By "some" hours I mean months of climbing at least. Even if a new tree climber has plenty of high angle rope experience that does not translate into actual hours in trees.

For solo tree climbing the most important skill is tree assessment. Learn everything you can about tree structure, health, identification etc. If a new climber was to ask advice I'd say climb DdRT for 6 months to a year. Put your static rope away, forget about SRT. I know some may disagree. SRT is for getting in and out of the tree quickly. For climbing IN the tree DdRT is the bread and butter. Learn it in-depth. Know it. And I don't mean intellecually, know it in your body. Climb until you can do everything in the dark: tie all your knots, set a new pitch from within the tree with lights out. Back in the daylight: climb both ends of the rope, double crotch, do traverses DdRT, learn how to move in a tree, learn how to live in tree time, take a nap in a tree, spend the night sleeping in a tree. After you do all that your innovations will have a relationship to what your tree body and mind asks for. Don't stop innovating but be patient. Let your tree climbing self catch up with your inventor/innovator self. How's that for free advice? :-)
-moss

and in that same forum RON makes an excclent point as well:

"You're right, I'm probably over-reacting, but it's hard to be judged by a bunch of guys, fine guys I would add, that I do respect, but nevertheless, being judged via the internet when you have no idea of what my learning curve is, my capabilities, never seen me climb, and are unaware of what a safety oriented person I am. Yet under these conditions, it has been suggested that I be labelled beginner and restricted. What's not offensive about that?"

end qoute "ron"

:)

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128367 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic No you're right
No you are right, we should consider your feelings above all else, and said nothing, instead of taking an interest in your life.

I appologize for trying to keep you safe, and from putting a black eye on the activity that I've chosen as my favorite pastime by going out and getting yourself killed. My fault. I should really be ashamed for trying to do the right thing...

I'd also reccomend reading Ron's comments in context. He has since noted the wisdom of learning by listening. Sarcasam aside, the reason so many get so upset by your posts is because we KNOW:

1. Rec treeclimbing has a solid safety record.
2. Many have come before us safely, and have followed in thier footsteps, even if self trained, and done so with the same level of safety.
3. An attitude that suggests one believes that one is prepared for everything is a good sign that one does not have the proper respect for one's own safety. A lax mental attitude leads inevitably to lax safety measures.

The comments here are intended to keep everybody safe. Should I, or any other experienced climber, pass similar suggestions, we would be met with the same reaction. Just relax your neck muscles, no one is attacking you.

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128368 by SRT-Tech
sarcasm indeed...;)

and i thank you for looking out for me! i've never know such a caring bunch of people. (well, my military brats and bros are like family)

If it makes you feel any better, I booked three solid sessions at a local university lab to test the 3/8" technora rope , rigged identical to Trad tree climbing setups, but on a horizontal layout with a dynanometer attached. I will also be testing the various hitchs, friction materials and solid hardware for heat and slippage. Doing this on my own dime. This was my plan from the get go......but iu had to fend off the jugalar attacks. ;)

so you can all rest easy now, chill out, quaff a malt beverage or three. "your" sport is safe. I'm safe. always have been, always will, i'm not stupid. Maybe the way i comunicate does'nt always explain that, but i did'nt get the nickname "Safety Guy" for any ol reason. I take it seriously....but apparently that was lost in the translation.

anyways, coffees brewing, gotta feed the cat and its off to the trees for an early morn climb. (gasp - on trad tree gear too! who wuoulda thunk eh?)

;)

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds