9mm climbing systems

• 3climbr
  • 3climbr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127135 by 3climbr
9mm climbing systems was created by 3climbr
I'm interested in developing a light-weight easy to carry climbing system that will allow me to climb a wide variety of trees.

I guess that 9mm makes sense because of it's lesser weight and volume (compared to 11mm and greater).

Any thoughts?

Kindest regards,
Robert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127136 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic 9mm climbing systems
Robert, what you want to do CAN be done. You have to make sure you are using hardware that can handle that diameter.

I'm putting together a system for ascending big trees that relies on a VERY lightweight rope.

In the spring, I'll show you when we head up to the redwoods!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• 3climbr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127139 by 3climbr
Replied by 3climbr on topic 9mm climbing systems
Nick,
Have you tried advanced friction knots with any of the 3/8 inch SRT ropes?
What VERY lightweight rope are you referring to?
I am really looking forward to climbing the Redwoods. That sounds excellent.
Kindest regards,
Robert

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127140 by sitka12
Replied by sitka12 on topic 9mm climbing systems
interesting idea, but one problem would be finding a mechanical ascender that would work with that small of rope if your climbing SRT. Or, if your climbing Ddrt, it would be hard to grip such small line. Maybe footlocking DRT?

Nick, when is that redwooods climb?

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127142 by coonrad
Replied by coonrad on topic 9mm climbing systems
Do they make 9mm arborist ropes for doubled technique?

Mountaineers/canyoneers and such often emply small diameter ropes. For instance bluewater makes an 8mm canyon rope that is quite popular due to it's lightweight/strength/abrasion resistance.

From a SRT perspective I don't think it would be hard to put a lightweight system together. Petzl ascenders like the "ascension" are specified to work down to 8mm ropes. There's the tibloc if you really want a small ascender, big teeth on that one though.

Lots of low and slow practice to get used to a small rope would be mandatory.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127143 by moss
Replied by moss on topic 9mm climbing systems

Originally posted by coonrad
Do they make 9mm arborist ropes for doubled technique?

It may exist, typical DdRT rope is 11mm or greater. For DdRT many climbers already find 11mm uncomfortable to grab so going smaller is going to be even more of a problem.
-moss

• scottdb
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127144 by scottdb
Replied by scottdb on topic 9mm climbing systems
I have a freind that surprised me with a 9mm rope that he bought to use for tree climbing. He was also using pieces of a cordlet for lanyards...very strong but tiny size. Just looking at the rope made me nervous...just the way I used to get going up a small diameter fixed rope.

I have rock climbed and ice climbed using double rope technique with 9mm & 10mm dynamic ropes. Saves weight and allows double rope length rappels. Don't see this method much on the crags these days.

In the big trees I think that the small rope sizes are phsycologically challenging to people. Also they are very difficlut to hold on to with your hands.

As mentioned by others it is vital that the equipment you choose is rated for use with the diameter rope you use.

Personally I would be careful about getting too carried away looking for weight savings as utility tends to be more important at the end of the day.

New materials and mfg. methods are bringing ropes on the market every year. It will be fun to see where we end up.

• 3climbr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127145 by 3climbr
Can static kermantle rope be spliced?

• wildbill
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127146 by wildbill
Replied by wildbill on topic 9mm climbing systems
New England Ropes makes the "Spider," a very lightweight 9mm kernmantle rope that is specifically designed for SRT treeclimbing. It has an average breaking strength of about 6,500 pounds. It will fit most ascenders. It does NOT work, though, for double-rope climbing. I have tried it a couple of times and enjoyed it thoroughly. You can purchase it through New Tribe (newtribe.com).

Have you hugged your trees today,
Wild Bill from Dawsonville
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127147 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic 9mm climbing systems
Static kernmantle CAN be spliced...but it's not accepted or supported by any manufacturers. I've done it to see if it can be done, but I would never climb on it and never let anyone else climb on it, though it beat the fig eight on a bight in a pull test.

What I intend on doing is carrying a 400' LIGHT rope that is just for asending, and having hardware that can handle it, then having a 60' 11mm rope for playing around in once I get up the tree.

Currently, there is no particular redwood climb in mind, but Robert and I live so close to eachother AND the rewood trees that it is impossible for us to bypass the entire summer without climbing at least ONCE up there!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127148 by sitka12
Replied by sitka12 on topic 9mm climbing systems

Originally posted by NickfromWI

Currently, there is no particular redwood climb in mind, but Robert and I live so close to eachother AND the rewood trees that it is impossible for us to bypass the entire summer without climbing at least ONCE up there!

love
nick

if your talkin coast redwoods you should give me a haller so i can join you. there only a few hours from me and i been itching to climb one. but if your talkin giant sequoias, well then thats a different story all together!

• 3climbr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127150 by 3climbr
Nick and Sitka,
Let's talk coast redwoods.
The first week of spring is coming soon.
Robert

More
18 years 4 weeks ago - 18 years 4 weeks ago #127155 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Spider rope
I use the Spider rope for the big trees too. I have never used ot for doubled rope climbing . I use a full rack (6 bars) for the rappel down and gloves so I won't see red when I hit the ground. I too use a 400 foot rope. I use a shorter (125-150 ft.) 11mm rope for up in the crown plus a long daisy rope/lanyard (40 ft.) for positioning and short pitches.

What are other big tree climbers using? Anything new out there?

Scottb- tell us about cordlet. What diameter is it? Is it the stuff used for secured foot lock climbing?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 3 weeks ago - 18 years 3 weeks ago #127178 by rocknroll
Replied by rocknroll on topic Why mechanical
I am just wondering why so much talk about mechanical devices? In the rescue field mechanical devices are being used less by most. The reason being is the mechanical device and the prussiks both will hold about the same. Prussiks will melt to the rope, mechanical devices will strip the sheath from the rope. I would rather replace the prussiks than the rope in a whole system.

Psithurism - the sound of the wind rustling the leaves.

• 3climbr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 3 weeks ago - 18 years 3 weeks ago #127181 by 3climbr
Since the thread was about lightweight systems...I think the focus on mechanical devices got going because most climbers use 9mm (smaller rope) for SRT with mechanical devices.

I am curious if Spider or KMIII can be climbed with advanced friction hitches.

Another question I have is the advantage of kernmantle rope over other arborist ropes based upon twist.

Any thoughts?

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds