Web straps

• slingshot
  • slingshot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126931 by slingshot
Web straps was created by slingshot
Is there a way to use 1/2" wide 1/8" thick web strapes for anything in climbing besides the ascenders? Can you do any Prussik type knots with it or is there other knots that will work specific to strap

would maybe like to use it for foot loop material instead of rope if it would work.

slingshot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126935 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Web Strappping Material Uses
This is one of those things that the more you climb and work on trees the more uses you find for them. They are strong and versatile and can be used for making a temporary Harness, to foot loops for ascensders, to redirects, lowering cut pieces, false crotches, holding gear around a tree in a tree camping situation , holding the straps for the port-a-ledge, or in a swing like Dan House uses in his Treetramp. Lots of uses more than I can name here.
look in pages 62- and 92-93 In the Tree Climber Book for more ideas and usage for this handy material.

• slingshot
  • slingshot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126938 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic Web straps
Are there way's to use it as a material for maybe the bridge section for Ddrt climbing or the footloop in that same case and if so where what kind of knots would be used.. are they in the book also??

slingshot

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126941 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic Web straps
I always carry a web sling with a carabiner in a tree. The uses are endless. But for rec. climbing there might not be as many uses. Use them for daisy chains, as a foot hold , redirect, and holding different equipment.

See you at the top.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126957 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic Web straps
In his book "Knots", Richard Hopkins describes an "Extended French Prussik" tied with webbing. I haven't tried it yet, but he describes it this way:

1. the tape (webbing) is centered and laid across the main rope.

2. The sides are wrapped down simultaneously in opposie directions, keeping the tape flat and smooth and the wrapping as close together as possible.

At each end of the tape, tie a loop using a water knot. The carabiner fits into the two loops.

As I say, I haven't tried it yet. If you do, let us know how it works.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126966 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Web straps
If you're using the webbing for body support you should know the breaking strength of the material. Don't use just any old webbing for support.

The standard breaking strength for body support materials is 5,000 pounds.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds