Initial impressions of Butterfly II saddle

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126895 by moss
I climbed on my new Butterfly II today. I was pleased with it. Very comfortable, I was in the tree for about 1.5 hours and had no problems comfort-wise. The saddle is light-weight and fits well. The back of the saddle is somewhat rigid compared to a New Tribe but was fine in the tree. As expected from my earlier tradeshow test the saddle allows nimble controllable movements from vertical to horizontal on either side or full inversion. The sewing, webbing and hardware is all first rate. My main complaint is the bridge which holds a floating aluminum ring for rope/biner attachment. The bridge is a little long (hardware was up higher then I like) and looks a little flimsy. I'm sure its strong enough but I wouldn't mind beefier construction there.

If I could only have one saddle I would go with a New Tribe. It is more comfortable and has better ergonomics for the accessory attachment points on the belt. I also think the New Tribe is a better rescue saddle with several life support attachment options. Most movements I can do with the Butterfly I can do with a New Tribe except the New Tribe is a more resistant and harder to hold for some positions. This is actually good for many climbers since you are much less likely to get accidentally flipped into a wrong position in a New Tribe during an uncontrolled swing for instance (been there done that). Another thing I like about the New Tribe is the relative simplicity of the design. Easier to inspect, less parts, less chance of failure.

In conclusion the Butterfly II is an excellent saddle which I'm happy to own but it doesn't put my New Tribe out of business.
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126904 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic Initial impressions of Butterfly II saddle
I tried the Butterfly out last year and for me it was very uncomfotable. Each person is different though. I am waiting for a New Tribe work saddle to try out that I should get in a few days. Most saddles I try on either pinch my hips or my upper thigh. There is only one that hasn't and the is the Tree Austria from American Arbotist Suppilie. It was a removable busom seat which is very nice bet the price is over $300, unlike the New Tribe which is $210.
To me a saddle is the most important descision to make and it is quite hard to decide on on.

See you at the top.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126909 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Initial impressions of Butterfly II saddle
Don't forget that you can usually send your new saddle back to most companies, if not fully pleased. Also, may I humbly suggest not to overlook the new Buckingham Master IV which I use for work and is comfortable and versatile, or even consider the new Glide or even the Petzl Navaho which has the optional bosun seat also and I believe Peter Jenkins uses an older model of this that he likes a lot when having to hang a long time.
Just some thoughts to try and send them back if not satisfied. Keep searching for the holy grail !

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126915 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic Initial impressions of Butterfly II saddle
I tried the Navaho and the Glide and many others. Like you said it is the holy grail and there is one out there I just need to find it.

See you at the top.

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126918 by moss
climber 020, I will go out on a limb and predict that you will like your New Tribe very much.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds