Gloves for winter climbing

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126762 by moss
Gloves for winter climbing was created by moss
I finally gave up trying to find winter climbing gloves in the various outdoor outfitters like REI etc. Anything that they have will get destroyed in 2 or 3 climbs. The stuff that looked like it might hold up for more than 5 climbs was way too expensive to experiment with. I've settled on two pairs of gloves that cover me for most winter conditions. They both grip the rope very well. The Ironclads give you excellent dexterity but are not warm enough for me below 28f. I will often swap gloves when I need more dexterity for a particular task.

For moderately cool weather (28f and warmer)
Ironclad Cold Condition

For colder than that:
Youngstown Waterproof Gauntlet XT

This is not an endorsement of the website, it's just an easy way to show the gloves. You can pick up the Ironclads at Sherrill or any supplier that has them.
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126771 by crtreedude
Replied by crtreedude on topic Gloves for winter climbing
Yet another reason to live in the tropics!

Though I think gloves might be a good idea for me.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126773 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Climbing Gloves
Here is the "Subtropical" temperature regions of Texas I use the "No Fingers type " leather gloves. They protect the hand from abrasion of the rope and the bark on the tree but your fingers are open to the air so you have full dexterity. I buy them at Home Depot and they last a fairly long time but eventually they get crusted up w/ stuff and sweat and I just change to new ones. I got some REI gloves for Christmas and tried to take them back in exchange for something else but there was nothing I really wanted so I kept them for the cool days while walking the dog. They are not strong enough for climbing duty. The Home Depot has several work gloves that are relatively low priced and fairly strong and comfortable for tree work.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126781 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic Gloves for winter climbing
So far, I've been doing just fine with a pair of thick deerskin gloves (made with the smooth side out) that have a thin liner inside. This has been OK down to upper single digits (say 8 F or so). When it's in the mid 20's (there's been a lot of that this year - warm for January by our standards) I climb barehanded and just put on a left glove for the figure-8 assisted descent. You can warm up your hands pretty quickly by holding them against your neck.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126784 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic Atlas Gloves
They make a make two types for both summer and winter wear. Both are very comfortable, affordable $3-$5 a pair. And last a month or so if you climb everyday. The winter gloves are sold at Sherrill Tree & Climbing Supplies. They sell a summer model but I have found a better pair that is weightless, while both pairs have a rubber grip. They are sold at Ace hardware stores. For the very cold days you can were a cheap pair of thin cottton gloves underneath the atlas glove.
I do tree work everyday of the year and even when wet they are gold unlike leather gloves.

See you at the top.

• slingshot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #126924 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic Gloves for winter climbing
would a good pair of worked in leather work gloves work well for climbing during "summer time" or are they alittle too "slick" and heavy?

slinsghot

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #126925 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Gloves for winter climbing
Things Change. . .
I used to love my leather PMI rappelling gloves.
I almost couldn’t climb without them.
Then. . .
I was doing a climb with a guy that was using those cheep rubber coated gloves mentioned above. I figured the guy was a bit of a Twinkie but heck, to each his own.

Once in the canopy, I couldn’t help but notice him eye-balling my macho leather rappelling gloves while I was looking at his “rubber twinkies”.

He then explained to me that the entire idea of the rubber glove was to provide “controlled-stick” to the rope. Thus you use much less energy grabbing the line on ascent then with a leather glove or bare hands.

I tested his theory.
He was right! I burnt a LOT less energy using the rubber gloves. So now I’m hooked! I always use the rubber coated gloves for climbing. It really does provide quite an enhancement on ascent!

Just a Preference,
Electrojake

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #126926 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Gloves for winter climbing
They also are great for grip on your throwline, which can be frustrating or at least tiring to pull through any crotch(much less tight ones) without these rubber grips. Sherril also makes rubber grips of kevlar for more protection and a little more warmth.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

• slingshot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #126927 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic Gloves for winter climbing
We have those here at work also and they do feel pretty good to work in, thought maybe they would be a little to easy to wear out though... guess not I'll give them a go.

thanks
slingshot

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #126937 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic Gloves for winter climbing
On the winter atlas gloves when it is real cold I will wear a pair of the cheap cotton gloves underneath and wear the next size up atlas glove.
The winter gloves I wear through them in about 3 weeks and about the same for the summer ones. I work 5-6 days a week with them all day long as well as on rec. climbs. Just watch your finder tips on the rope. I usually go through my right index being that is the one of use to use my throwline (one handed) and form my rope handling. They have liquid rubber for replacing worn tool handles, I have thought about recoating the gloves after they get worn out a bit. It works great on worn throwballs to stop the pellots from coming out.

See you at the top.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds