sleeping bag in tree boat

• rocknroll
  • rocknroll's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126351 by rocknroll
sleeping bag in tree boat was created by rocknroll
I was wondering if anyone has updated there sleeping bag for use in the tree boat or whatever you sleep in. I was thinking about making a slit in my bag and sewing around it so I could put the rope through it when tying in at night. Or is there other hints. Let me know what you do or how you tie in at night to keep that drafty spot out.

Psithurism - the sound of the wind rustling the leaves.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126352 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Tie While Sleeping
I use one of the new tribe slings to tie to the climbing harness and then run out on the top of the sleeping bag and connect to the outside rope and to the tree. The sling (limb loop they call it) is made of flat webbing with loops on each end. Since they are flat they do not feel annoying if you roll over them at night.
They are strong enough that they sell then to tie the Tree boat the tree. There is no need to destroy your sleeping bag for this purpose.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126354 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic sleeping bag in tree boat
When I tree camp I wear my mountaineering harness. I have 5/8" supertape slings girth hitched the the front. The other end is secured nearby. If I need to I'll girth hitch a biner to another tape sling to get the length I need. Nearby I have my climbing rope and hitch all set for a quick exit.

The tape sling goes right down the neck of my bag. So far, knock on wood, I haven't Gecked myself.

Another solution would be to open up the zipper and add a couple of tabs so that youo would have two, two way zipper sets. YOu could bring the sling in from the side and close it off with the two tabs. Thsi could be more of a problem if yoo have to make a quick exit though.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126356 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Dual Zippers
(To the tune of dueling zippers)

zzzzz,zzzz,zzzzz,zzzz,zzzzzzzz

OK enough of that makes me think of "Deliverance" anyway, eeewwww, sorry Ned.

I've considered adding another pair of zippers too, but I've found that I prefer to use two bags, anyhow. With this setup (though it makes for a lot of gear to pack in) you really dont notice the bumps of the extra rings on your ness saddle (because of the extra padding), and even if you rope in the draft can be limited by the second bag. I've been using a bag with an adjustable shoulder/head area...works like a charm.

I stay tied in to my climbing rope though. I provide enough slack that the ropes lie flat in the bag with me. I'll tell you what though, half hour before sunrise, with a full bladder, and a dead headlamp, it's really nice to be able to bail out right onto the blake's and hit the ground to find relief.

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• rocknroll
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126363 by rocknroll
Replied by rocknroll on topic why
do you hit the ground for relief. it will end there anyway you go?:D

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126366 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic PUT IT THIS WAY
It was so cold outside the two sleeping bags, I was thinking...just go man.

Plus I'm so uncoordinated I figgured I'd go on my friend if I tried from my hammock...

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126368 by moss
Replied by moss on topic sleeping bag in tree boat

Originally posted by Rocknroll
Why do you hit the ground for relief. it will end there anyway you go?:D

You still have to climb back down the tree eventually, don't want to make the branches slippery or worse. And on frequently climbed trees you don't want them to start smelling like the NYC subways do you?

Does this mean we need a section in the guidelines discussing in-tree human waste disposal? Maybe it's already there. It's a dirty job but someone's got to write it :-)
-moss

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126370 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Extra Zippers won't work.
I had an extensive conversation with a sleeping bag repair person here in Los Angeles about a month ago. I called her regarding this exact topic. I thought of just putting another zipper or two on there. She raised one very good point...

...3 zippers will allow the gap in the zipper that I desire, but should I need to evacuate the tree, the sleeping bag is connected to me. You CANNOT just unzip and lower. The rope either needs to become disconnected, pulled out, then clipped back on, or you have to reach in, make the zipper hole big enough for you to crawl through.

I think velcro may be a viable option. Velcro the top half of the zipper, from your belly to your chin. In case of emergency evacuation, just rip it open and jump!

For now, I use a VERY lightweight sleep harness, and use webbing slings to extend my friction hitch a few feet above me. Then I just leave it all VERY slack, and sleep soundly.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• rocknroll
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126377 by rocknroll
Replied by rocknroll on topic slack
isn't the slack bad??????

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126378 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Sleep Tight!
It sounds like we are not having too much trust on the strength of the tree boat to begging with. A little bit of slack on the tying sling or line even a few extra feet is not going to cause any harm to the sleeper if it falls completely out the hammock. It sounds like we try to overkill the sleeping safety issue. If the branches holding the hammock are strong enough it is very unlikely that you will ever fall down even if you leave some slack on the harness line. IMHO.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126381 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Treeboat strength
I made some comments here a while ago regarding the strength of the treeboat. Sophia resonded with some words of encouragement. She said to take it out, set it up low to the ground, and try some things.

I have slept well over 100 nights in my treeboat. Not always way up in a tree, but easily wayyy over 100 nights. I've brought it on many camping trips and have put multiple people in it. I'll see if I can get some pics. I have one pic where there's 6 kids in it!

You can stand in this thing barefoot or wearing boots. I've hung along side and just PULLED myself up into it, as if my rope wasn't there.

All this said, the slack might be bad if I just ripped through the treeboat in the middle of the night...but I'm willing to risk it because I don't think it's gonna happen. I leave it as slack as possible so I can sleep soundly.

The treeboat is tough.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126390 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic sleeping bag in tree boat
I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, but do those of you who sleep at height use a sleeping bag liner, or some other way to protect the bag?

I was about ready to sleep way up there and was thinking through the procedure, and had the thought that changing into my jammies while tied in would be a real challenge.

Coveralls? Bag liner? ???

Thanks--

Peace.

Jim

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126391 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic PAJAMAS?!
No Jim, I'm always fullyclothed...except shoes.

I find that I'm not too friendly with the air temperature, so I need lots of layers. Lemme get back with you next spring/summer, and see how warm weather changes my story...

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126392 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic I like bag liners.
I have used a bagliner more for warmth than protecting the bag. I was using a fleece liner. I think a liner would be too hot in the summer.

When I used it most I was training for a tree sit. It was during winter months and I did not give myself any excuse not to sleep in the training tree. I was using an A-5 single suspension double porta ledge. The porta ledge was suspended with a Petzl swivel to rotate during wind events. I found the spinning very calming and sleep inducive.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126393 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic sleeping bag in tree boat
Thanks, Cam and Peter.

Cam, I first thought of sending you a private e-mail about this, then thought it would be better to ask for the collective wisdom. So you use no protection for the sleeping bag--doesn't this cause you to have to wash it quite frequently, though?

Peter, my hat is off to you that you would "not give myself any excuse not to sleep in the training tree." I already have used the "how should I protect the sleeping bag" excuse several times, when part of the real reason was, "baby, it's cold outside!"

I know that my sleeping bag will handle the cold weather here, so all I need to do is convince myself that I am protecting the bag from dirt on my clothes. Then I will have to face my first nightime climb.

I thought of making a liner from an old sheet. I don't need anything heavy--the bag will do the job.

My plan is to install the ledge and make a few dry runs at getting into the bag during the day, then return to sleep at night.

More comments from y'all are invited.

Thanks--

Peace.

Jim

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds