Refining the Treeboat

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125752 by nickfromwi
Refining the Treeboat was created by nickfromwi
So I've slept maybe 100 nights in my treeboat. Many only a couple feet off the ground, but a bunch UP in the trees, too.

Somehow, unlike practically every other piece of gear I own, the treeboat and the few accessories I have for it have not been modified in ANY way.

We all talked a while ago about putting a grommett in the bottom to let collected rain water drain out, but what other things could/should be done to make the boat that much better?

I use the bug mesh thingy. I love it and hate it. There needs to be a way to seal it shut at the bottom so the waiting mosquitos can't fly in when you shift your weight and inadvertently open the door for them. I think velcro is the best way to go. I've thought about sewing in little loops along each side of the mesh then "shoelacing" a thin piece of bungee through the loops so that the mesh sortof hugs the bottom of the boat. Whattya think?

Oh, I LOVE the cozy. I basically NEVER take it off.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125753 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Refining the Treeboat
Oh, another thing I thought of, maybe it's dumb luck, but in all the nights I've slept the the boat, I think I've been rained on 3 times. 2 of them I just went inside (because it was an option) and the third, I brought a tarp with me and just threw it over the mosquito net. The tarp was sortof heavy (it was the cheapy woven plastic one from the hardware store) and it made the net droop down almost to my face. On top of that, I didn't have it strapped in place, so a breeze would've blown it off. I did have a little carabiner clipping it to the boat in one spot in case a breeze came along and blew it off, but it never happened.

This got me thinking. I know there are rain shelters you can buy, but they look like they might be a bit more bulky than necessary.

How about a shape identical to the mosquito net, but made of superlightweight sil-nylon, seams all sealed of course. It could be bundled up in a TINY little bag, and if it started raining, you can sorta throw it over the mosquito net, maybe velcro it in place, and go back to sleep, or whatever you were doing.

Would it work?

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125754 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Refining the Treeboat
Greetings Nick,

I'm currently working with NewTribe on developing an "all in one" light weight easy to set up treeboat with rainfly. I don't think the prototype will be done in time for the Rendezvous, but we will keep everyone posted on the updates.
I've also got a few other ideas on how to trick out my personal treeboat. Anyone else out there trickin out their boats?
As far as the mosquito net problem, I switched over to the zippered ones the only problem is that I now have 3 non-zippered ones collecting dust. I did have one black bee, on a central american climb, get in thru the corners of the zippered net and it was quite the event to get him out. (no one was harmed in the process). I just got done spending 2 weeks in my treeboat while attending a Tom Brown Jr. course, I give thanks I had the zippered net with me. It kept those Pine Barren chiggers out of my shelter.
Let us know if the velcro works.

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125758 by nickfromwi
There's a zipper one? New tribe makes this?

love
nick

More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125759 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Refining the Treeboat
check it out-
http://www.newtribe.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35_50&products_id=121

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125766 by nickfromwi
While you're at it, I don't like that the fiberglass "stays" or whatever they're called, are so long. They don't fit in a small pack. If they could be cut in half and screwed together in the middle, that'd make me happier...though I am still quite happy.

I don't know if there might be a heavy duty version of the collapsable poles they make for backpacking tents. That'd be perfect!

love
nick

More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125779 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Refining the Treeboat
I made a Tree-Ledge a number of years ago. Setting up and leveling the four corners takes too much time and too much room in the tree.

I used some aluminum tubing for the edges sewed in sleeves along the sides to hold the tubing. Then I added four flat webbing straps with friction buckles to hang and level my T-L.

After buying a protaledge I rarely use the T-L. I did make up a netting over-bag for both of them. It is pyramid shaped and has a bottom too. The zippered door starts at the apex, sweeps down to the right and then across the edge of the PL. At night my boots and extra clothing goes into the bottom. This draws the netting tight so it doesn't flap in the wind.

When I use the PL in expected rain or wet nights I use a Eureka Zeos Exo tent on the PL. It's a solo single wall tent that fits nicely on the PL. The venting is limited so it gets stuffy on warm nights. It's a cheap solution to buying a fly.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds