More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125695 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic
Good Grief Charlie Brown!

1. Looks like the folks at Treebuzz gave me the brush off...It does work though, I hope somebody uses it and prevents a spill.

2. Most handled ascenders have several clip in holes two at the bottom and one (or more) at the top. The one at the top is to clip a biner or quick link around the line and through the ascender. It keeps the ascender from being completly removed from the ascender, and in many cases prevents the rope from being moved away from the cam in such a was to cuse it to fail. This has been in print since the invention of the Jumar way back when. The second hole in the bottom is to do the same at the bottom of the ascender. In the case where the ascender is being used to facilitate horizontal travel, such as in the case of a tyroliean traverse (sp.?), it prevents the handle from being moved in such a way to cause the cam to act as a pivot and force a bend in the tensioned line, which can cause a SNAP!

I hope that sheds some light on the subject. I was taught to always clip into the top (though I sometimes fail to do so).

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125696 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic
Thanks for the info.
Don't take those guys too hard cus sometimes they're a little pessimistic especially on new ideas, but they sometimes have to be shown with a lot of detail or proof.
The more important point though, I think, is to get your idea directly to Mark for his crew. You can post a person to person message there or if you like I'll do it for you since I've spoken with him on several occassions. Let me know.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125697 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic
Icabod,
Didn't see you post there at Treebuzz. Where did you post?
It should have been under Awakenings, then under Close Call by Mark Chisholm.
Let me know.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125706 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic I didn't
Charlie,
I didn't post there. It looked to me like the subject was pretty much dead. I'll drop MC a line though. I've got his email addy somewhere....

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125724 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic
How can DdRT be quicker than SRT? With SRT there's no limb isolation needed, the backup is easier and quicker to install.

At first, footlocking a single rope is difficult but no more than doing DdRT FL at the beginning.

After talking with MANY people about the Kong Ascender accidents I've come to a personal conclusion. Since they are the most popular double ascender setup on the market it makes sense that they will statisitically be involved in the most accidents. Kind of like seeing Chevrolets or Starbucks. The common theme is that the climber lets the ascenders touch the tree, brush or some other object. This is a set-up for shoe horning the rope or bumping the release tab on the side of the cam. Ascenders should NEVER touch ANYTHING!!!

Backups should be used too.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds