Sherrill's Poison Ivy rope

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125529 by treeman
Sherrill's Poison Ivy rope was created by treeman
Who has used this rope? Is it easier to grip than the Fly? The green and black color is a plus for low profile climbing. How does it handle as compared to the Fly? I know it is slightly larger diameter than the Fly, which is probably good.

I have a 200 foot Blaze rope but geeze, it is tough on the hands as far as double rope technique is concerned. How does the Poison Ivy do with ascenders? Does it stretch out as much as the Blaze (another undesirable feature)? It will be hard to wean myself off the Fly.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125530 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Sherrill's Poison Ivy rope
PI is a cousin to Blaze. Same ingredients but just a little thicker. I think that has to do with the strength of the fibers when they're died.

From what I've heard, people like PI. I've never climbed on it though. I really like Blaze.

Stealth ain't in it when I climb :)

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125533 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Sherrill's Poison Ivy rope
I find the Poison Ivy greeeaaatttt!!
It's very supple, stays round even in knots and through devices, is very abrasive resistant since its 24 strand braid, is more substantial to grasp than 7/16" and almost can't tell that it's not quite 1/2", (on my calipers it's 1/2")
can form and hold knots easily, is the lightest(6.5lbs/100ft) per lb. arborist rope made, and dries quickly after wet and the strength is 6500lbs.(a little more than some 1/2"ropes)
It is also spliceable and eventhough is a Kernmantle "type" construction it is a true braided two ropes in one arborist rope.
It is also very low stretch. Even Yale's site doesn't quote the % of stretch but you could call them. Haven't had it glaze easily yet either and I know it's definitely not quite as fast running thru hardware as Fly is initially, but almost, which I like.
Also, you can get it spliced at Sherrill.
It can almost brush your teeth!--just kidding.
And of course it's wicked cool cus it's "STEALTHY"!!

CharlieB

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125534 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Sherrill's Poison Ivy rope
I've been climbing PI for 4 months. Haven't tried Fly so I can't compare. It's thicker than Blaze, I have no problems grabbing it for DRT. It seems to wear pretty nicely, I'm climbing frequently and it has barely raised any fuzz.

The sheath stretches, a lot! I milked off 30 plus inches from a 120 ft. length. After that it's settled down. In retrospect I was probably too aggressive in milking it, I wouldn't mind if the sheath had a slight bit more slack or softness in it.

A friend who climbs Safety Blue tried it out and remarked, "it's fast!". To be fair, it was anchored on a 2-ring false crotch so it was going to be somewhat fast anyway.

Haven't tried it with ascenders.

As far as the stealth factor goes, I'm beginning to think that if you need to be that stealthy, you're probably distracted from the task of climbing. It is a very nice color though :-)
-moss

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds