New Tribe saddle question.

• quercus
  • quercus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125387 by quercus
New Tribe saddle question. was created by quercus
I'm getting ready to buy gear for the first time and need advice on saddles. Can somebody explain the functional differences between the New Tribe Work saddle, the Pro-Gear saddle, and the VI Special Saddle? Or at least tell me why you chose the one you did and how it's working for you? I've read the product descriptions, but since I have limited experience climbing, much of it is lost on me. Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks!

-Quercus

Work saddle:

Pro-gear saddle:

VI Special saddle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bradley Ford
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125388 by Bradley Ford
Replied by Bradley Ford on topic New Tribe saddle question.
I have New Tribe's Work Saddle (when I bought my saddle a couple of years ago, New Tribe did not offer the ProGear or Vi Special saddles). My choice was based primarily on comfort and secondarily on capability; I am very happy with my saddle in both respects. If I was choosing a new saddle today, I'd pick the Vi Special because 1) its price behind Door One is a significant differentiator and 2) it is designed to address my (well, really Vi's) personal selection criteria.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125392 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic N-Tribe Saddle
I have the New Tribe Work Saddle also. When I bought it last year I wanted to have the D-rings on the side and asked them to install them on my saddle. It makes for a nice place to connect your flipline while doing work on the tree or for extra balance while being in top of a branch disconecting the main line safety, etc. My saddle does not have the extended let supports and that will be a good addition since you are mostly sitting while climbing. My saddle is about 2 years old and it is in fairly good shape with some minor wear on the butt-straps behind the legs. I will buy another saddle maybe later on this year and it may be the "Ultralight" from New tribe. ( It is posted on page 22 of Sherrills Catalog) It is the lowest priced so far but for some reason it is not posted in the New Tribe Catalog or on their web site. I hope this helps on your saddle selection.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125393 by moss
Replied by moss on topic New Tribe saddle question.
Looking at the 3 saddles you posted, they are very close with subtle differences, mostly to do with hardware. You can't really go wrong with any of them.

The VI looks like an excellent saddle.

Try calling New Tribe, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to discuss the fine points and help you pick out the one that's best for you.
-moss

• jerseyEd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125396 by jerseyEd
Replied by jerseyEd on topic New Tribe saddle
I have the N.T. with side D's. Today I ordered the V Saddle for my wife mainly because she wanted the extended legpads, which this saddle has. The only addition I made was the quick release legstraps. It is nice not having to put the saddle on the ground to put it on. The service at New Tribe has been super.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125398 by newtribe
Replied by newtribe on topic You can't lose
It's great to see all this attention to New Tribe Saddles! All three of these are in our "heavy duty" or "work" class of saddles, which means they all have the beefier belt pad and extended legpads that make for more comfort time during the day. This is especially important if you are a large, heavy person, are working, or are doing some intense rigging (setting multiple ropes or multiple Treeboats, for example) on a rec climb. Otherwise, if you are a casual recreational tree climber, you'll be happier with our lighter "Basic" or "Side D" saddles. They are so light you forget you have them on, and they're all you need for safety and comfort on rope.

The main difference between the three models you are asking about is in the "bells & whistles." If you like snaphooks and rings for clipping in tools, choose the Work Saddle. If you like Big D Rings and don't mind a heavy harness, choose the ProGear. If you're a rec climber who wants a serious working saddle that's also comfy to kick back in, then the Vi Special is your best bet.

This is the first year that we've produced a saddle with "soft" Ds, built of webbing and nylon canvas instead of steel. We use this feature in the "Ultralight" that you see in Sherrill's 2005 print catalog. Tobe Sherrill worked with us to create this model, and for the first year you will only find it from Sherrill. That's why it doesn't appear in our New Tribe catalog or website. Look for a recreational version of this directly from New Tribe, beginning sometime in Spring, 2006.

High and happy,

Sophia

• quercus
  • quercus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125412 by quercus
Replied by quercus on topic New Tribe saddle question.
Thanks for all the helpful feedback!

Q

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds