ascenders

• 3climbr
  • 3climbr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125289 by 3climbr
ascenders was created by 3climbr
I wonder what people think of CMI Ultra vs. Petzl?
http://newtribe.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21
Thanks,
Robert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125292 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Ascenders
I have the CMIs and they are nice not problems so far. There is an old post on this topic from earlier on the year or maybe 2004. Do a board search and you get to read all types of opinions either way w/ pros and cons. Good luck.

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125293 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic ascenders
2 cents worth on ascenders:
(from the resident changemaker) ;)

The well known CMI -large- Ultracenders look cool, like rescue gear. However, you need some small hands with "smart" thumbs to get a comfortable fit. I use light gloves when climbing so my large sized hands just don’t fit well in the Ultracenders. They are also tough on “pinky-crush”.

I prefer Petzl ascenders. Sure they look odd, even kind of chincy but they provide A better fit for large hands and the thumb release is easy to learn simply by touch.

And now we have CMI Expedition Ascenders. They look like a macho version of the Petzl ascenders I mentioned above. I haven’t tried them yet but if the thumb release is easy to use, they will be a great improvement over the Ultracsender design.

And finally. . .
If your not afraid of gadget-ware try these… Click below: www.verticalpro.net/ascender.html

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125294 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic ascenders
I have a pair of CMI's that are real tuff and I find easy to finger the cam and soft on my hands.

I tried the Petzl's and would consider them equal but when I buy another ascender it will be titianum with toothless cam action:

click here to read more:

USHBA site

PS for advanced riggers you can rig this as a self-advancing Blake's Hitch so you can pull down on the down rope with both hands and the top ascender will rise up by itself. (AKA HouseMover)

See you at the top,
Dan

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125306 by Electrojake
Dan,

Yes sir. Those CMI units are quite popular however…
Me, being a recreational climber with only a few years experience, “graceful SRT” is truly an oxymoron. My climbing partners have mentioned that my physique on rope resembles that of a pregnant ostrich in a nylon diaper, but that’s for another thread, eh? ;)

My son strongly prefers CMI ascenders over Petzl. I myself seem to fumble more with the CMI units. I’m sure practice on my part would cure my “fumble thumbs” with the CMI gear.

Also…
Thanks for the link to the USHBA site. I’m always on the search for “new stuff” and I have never seen these USHBA ascenders before.

Great link & photo, thanks for posting that!
Electrojake

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125337 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic CMI Ultra ascender design flaw.
I recently switched over to Yates rescue ascenders. The teeth are not as pronounced making them less damaging- so the Yates people say. They appear as they claim though. They also have a much better trigger lock made of metal, not plastic as with the CMI Ultra ascenders. I have broken numerous triggers on the CMI Ultra ascenders. They can be repaired but I tried it, and did not succeed. I know I can send them back to CMI for repair but it is disconcerting to have a trigger break, even when you carefully avoid trigger snap, only to have the ascender suddenly jump off the rope. This has happened twice to me with the top ascender. I feel it is a serious design flaw.

Anyone else had the plastic trigger snap off the CMI Ultra ascender? Beware. It happens. Maybe this is what Sherrill is talking about as far as a “belay” device for the Frog System.

Possibly this problem was addressed with their new Expedition model ascender. I have not seen one yet. Has anyone seen it? Please tell all.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125338 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Electrojake. When is the baby due?
You may just have a bent stance when you stand, giving you a, uhhh, pregnant likeness. Raise your hands up high when you stand to create a more vertical stance. Try that and report back to the gang here. Just think in terms of a marital artist- or is that martial artist? Do your motions slowly and see what is up with your body English. Have a spotter- one there to help you and not jive you, to get better movements. Better yet, have someone VCR you so you can get a look at what you are doing. That is what we used to do at the dojo (martial arts training area). It is very effective!

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125342 by Electrojake
Indeed. . .
Although I have been know to “lay and egg” or two, I have yet to actually hatch one out to maturity, plus the Mrs. does like her omelets :-|

As for your advice on my form. . .
Yes sir. Having climbing partners observe my “style” as I climb has spawned some very helpful advice, especially on SRT.

Over the past few years, I have gained the stability and maturity on rope to know that I am ripe for some direction from a professional instructor. Hopefully in the reasonable future you’ll be able to witness my pregnant ostrich technique in person at the grove.

Electrojake

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds