My gear is soaked --- is all hope lost?

• johnbutler
  • johnbutler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125283 by johnbutler
My gear is soaked --- is all hope lost? was created by johnbutler
Today all my tree gear (150' poly rope, New Tribe saddle, daisy rope, leather arborist gloves, backpack and rope bag) fell into a river. I came perilously close to drowning.

I thought I would try out an improvised watercraft. Little did I know I was actually trying out for the Darwin Awards.

Well, my foresight paid off to some degree, because I had all my gear (rope, wallet, keys, cell phone, digital camera) carabinered together, otherwise it would all be under by now. The only thing I lost was the one most expensive thing-my pair of glasses.

So I'm home now, and my beloved 150' poly arborist rope that I bought at a TCI workshop is soaked. I've got it strung across the backyard like a clothesline. Is it dead? Dare I climb with it again? I only just yesterday hauled it out to do a climb--the first climb of 2005, up a gorgeous and well-branched White Oak. I thought about sticking it in an oven set on low, but it's polyester, which I think might melt or at least harden in an oven.

My New Tribe saddle is also soaked. That thing has squishy, absorbent foam inside. God knows how long it will retain all that water.

I already have to buy new glasses, and probably a new cell phone too, and almost definitely a new camera.

Please tell me this stuff is salvagable!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125284 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic dry spell
John,

I would let your rope air dry completly before returning it to use and would not worry about its bath.

The other gear will need slow drying with good air circulation with an eye towards not letting anything mildew.

Sorry about your spill but I believe that nothing is lost except your glasses.

See you at the top,
Dan

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125285 by moss
Replied by moss on topic My gear is soaked --- is all hope lost?
I recently soaked my rope and saddle climbing in the rain, everything dried out fine.

I know of several people who've dunked their digital cameras and successfully dried them out. If the water was silty there will be a problem. If it was a clear body of water there is only drying out to do. You can take it to a camera repair person who can disassemble it and improve the chances of a successful dry out.
-moss

• 3climbr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125286 by 3climbr
Replied by 3climbr on topic i hear you
John,
You're still upset. You could have drowned and you lost your eye glasses.
I think your saddle and rope will be fine. The best thing to do after a tramautic incident is to respect your feelings and keep your routine.
Hang in there.
Robert

• johnbutler
  • johnbutler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125291 by johnbutler
Replied by johnbutler on topic Thanks for the reassurance
The camera is shot. Which is not so bad, considering it's six years old and four times the size of its current equivalent.

The phone turned out to be insured. $50 deductible. That's my big relief.

The glasses could have been cheaper.

And yes, it goes without saying, I am lucky and grateful to be alive. In spite of my concentrated, focused stupidity, Someone Up There didn't want me drowning yesterday.

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125302 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Shock Therapy
Sometimes I get to wondering if the spirit world is responsible for throwing us shaking “wake up messages”. I’ve personally gotten a number of these “are you really awake to what life has to offer” messages that I’ve lost count. They always leave me breathless and thinking on my mortal nature. Material stuff can always be replaced. Life is precious and fragile. Your gear will dry out and you now have a good reason to upgrade your clunky camera. Take heart.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125768 by cageking
Replied by cageking on topic washing
your gear will be fine after it drys out
you are supose to wash your rope ever once and a while in the washing machine Dont us any soap just run it using cold water
and then air dry make sure dry before puting away use some lght oil on any metal part becareful of getting any oil on your lines

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds