The "Fly" vs. the "Velocity"

• charlieb
  • charlieb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125151 by charlieb
I'm a newbie and have read comments in the past of the benefits of the Fly and not much about Samson's new Velocity. However these pros and cons are quite old already and am wondering if ya'll experts out there have had any change in your opinion about the Fly and/or if anyone has any detailed experiences of the Velocity, especially do you think it is comparable. And of course what's the disadvantages? Please help since I would like to purchase soon! Thanks so much. Charlie Brown. Fellow climber.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125152 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic My Opinion on Fly
At the Nebraska Rendezvous I climbed on both ropes.

I use the Sportline all the time and were going to buy some more rope so we had to test each kind.

To my surprize I hated the Velocity rope due to sticky coating. I cant tell why they did it but the Fly rope is smooth as silk.

We all love the Fly so much we bought a 600 foot roll from Voila at NewTribe.

See you at the top,
Dan

• charlieb
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125153 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Thanks Dan
A couple of other specific questions if you or anyone knows. Does the Fly or the Velocity get much heavier when wet? Do they both tend to dry out as easliy? Is one or the other more abrasion resistant? Do you have to milk the Velocity a little eventhough Samson says you don't? Are they both about as stretchy? Does the velocity hold the Blake's hitch as well?
Thanks all for any input.
CharlieB.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125154 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic The "Fly" vs. the "Velocity"
The difference between the Fly and Velocity is that Blaze is better.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125155 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic The "Fly" vs. the "Velocity"
Does the Fly or the Velocity get much heavier when wet? My guess is that water weighs the same in each.

Do they both tend to dry out as easliy?
My guess is that Tim K says Fly dries fast.

Is one or the other more abrasion resistant? Velocity has that sticky coating.

Do you have to milk the Velocity a little eventhough Samson says you don't? Bind each end well and no rope will milk.

Are they both about as stretchy? not enough difference to note.

Does the velocity hold the Blake's hitch as well? Like a glove. Hate tying Velocity.

So what about Blaze?

• charlieb
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125156 by charlieb
Thanks TreeTramp for your help.
Yea Nick, what about Blaze?
Do you believe that an arborist braid is more abrasion resistant than a kernmantle?
Hey Treetramp, do you know if both ropes have a nylon core or polyester?
CharlieB.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125157 by moss
I have a 20 ft piece of Velocity that I bought to see what it's like. Figured I could make a lightweight lanyard out of it. It is skinny! I wouldn't want to use it regularly for DRT. Since you're asking about these thin lines I'm assuming that you want to use it more for SRT and less for DRT (is that true?). Also the stickiness lessens pretty quickly after you use it, I don't find it a problem. Velocity feels like a miniature XTC (Yale) in the hand, tightly woven, slightly "hard" surface. It's very supple and ties well.

Consider getting "by the foot" samples of Fly, Velocity or any other rope that you're interested in. That way you can check out how it feels in the hand before investing in a long rope. You'll definitely find a use for any leftovers.
-moss

• charlieb
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125158 by charlieb
Thanks Moss,
Would like to do much DRT and some SRT. I took your advise and ordered plenty of samples. In anyone is interested, Fresco Arborist Supply has the Yale Blaze or XTC's or the Fly, Oklahoma Arborist Supply has them also eventhough not on their website (call them) and Sherrill exclusively has the Poison Ivy(Yale) true (1/2")(cousin of the Blaze). Wespur has the Fly the cheapest I've seen(150ft.for$99).
Anyway thanks all, I'll be deciding soon!

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds