New, Could use a little advise

• sounddesign42
  • sounddesign42's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124928 by sounddesign42
New, Could use a little advise was created by sounddesign42
So I have been a high steal rigger as well as a mountain climber for a long time, Now I live in Chicago, not too much climbing around here., ran across your site and found it to be quite entertaining. Got a Few questions though. What ropes would you suggest, i currently have several good lengths of standard 7/16 static rapp lines, but I am worried about milking and abbrasions. Is this a valid concern?

A quick terminaology question: I Think that your "blakes hitch " is the same thing as a riggers "prusik" is that the case?

Lastly, Does any one know any one to climb with or any where to climb in the Chicago area?

Thanks, I appreciate your help!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124930 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Knots Pictures for New Climber
Sounddesign
Buy the Jeff Jepson book tree Climbers Companion for a basic info that you need. Here are some links that will be usefull in getting the gear that you will need.
Take a class from one the climbing schools in Georgia , Michigan , Oregon etc. Attend the Next climbing rendevous in Oregon in May or June timeframe details will be comming soon.
www.newtribe.com

Climbing Technique and great pictures of knots( It is in Italian)
http://www.treeclimbing.it

Climbing Supplies and Great (free)Catalog
http://www.wtsherrill.com/

More Supplies
http://www.wesspur.com/

Good Luck, be safe & Climb High!:D

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124931 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic New, Could use a little advise
Greetings, "sounddesign42"--

"Oldtimer" has offered good advice. I particularly want to second the suggestions of New Tribe and Jepson's book (you can get the book from New Tribe).

As for the Blake's hitch, it's an excellent knot for Doubled Rope Technique (DdRT) climbing. (Do a web search for details of that if you don't have Jepson yet.)

Here's a link to details of the Blake's:
"Blake's Hitch Details from Knot Knowledge"

Good luck on your tree climbing! I hope you enjoy it!

Peace.

Jim

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124933 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic New, Could use a little advise
The blakes and prusik are similar in the sense that you can push them up, but they lock down when you put your weight in them. There are an infinite amount of these type of friction hitches (a name by which these knots are often referred).

Do some searching online for prusik, prussik, prusick, (the first spelling is the right one, of course) klemheist, distel, bachman and the whole world of friction hitches.

As far as Chicago is concerned, there are some AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME climbing trees out there in the suburbs. You just have to find them!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds