• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124906 by moss
I like Bareroot's naked foot method. I'll have to toughen my feet up quite a bit before I can attempt that. For those that cover their feet, what's your favorite footwear in the trees?

-moss (been shoveling snow all morning)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124907 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic
How can there be snow in Jamaica [Plain]? :)

When I climb my feet are snuggled into mid-weight hiking boots with stiff soles. I like the bit of body armor that the boots offer. Having stiff soles allows me to edge and stand in tight branch unions too.

Funny thing happened
When we fell outta the trees.
Took a look around
And straightened our knees.

-Colin Leyden

Love the opposible thumbs too :)

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124908 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic
Good question.

I have found that the heavy safety shoes (work boots) worn on the job are too hot & heavy for recreational climbing, yet a typical pair of sneakers are too soft and cut too low.

What’s on your feet when you climb?

Can you say heinous? :)

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124909 by rocknroll
Replied by rocknroll on topic Shoes
I like to use wrestling shoes. High tops for ankle support soft to be able to feel the tree like rock climbing shoes, tougher than rock climbing shoes soft rubber. I think they also help protect the tree better than heavy work boots.

Psithurism - the sound of the wind rustling the leaves.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124910 by moss
Replied by moss on topic

Originally posted by Electrojake
What’s on your feet when you climb?

I hope you don't mind the fragrance:

These are my old eccos, the tread isn't too deep and the rubber is fairly soft. Maybe something like this in a hightop would be even better.

Ejakes patent leather work(?) boots are to die for :-)

Rocknroll's wrestling shoe sounds great.
-moss

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124913 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic
A fashion statement the young ladies simply cant resist! :D

Also…
Moss, a picture is worth a thousand words, (i.e., thanks for posting the .jpg)

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124854 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic
I personally also like a midweight, midankle boot. I use 12 year-old Vasque Sundowners, with a few continents' wear and tear on them. This has worn the lugs down so they don't catch the rope with the double footloop, but still provide some traction. Still have some waterproofing left in them as well, for tramping through the snow.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124921 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic I like this thread!
My $36 REI Boots

Benefits of being REI Member!

My fave climbing boots are a bit shy of mountaineering boots. Tough, yes, but not bulky. I don't like anything that crunches my feet while footlocking or standing in a crotch.

That said, I've been known to climb in my flip-flops!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126519 by ajakz12
Replied by ajakz12 on topic
My dream shoes would be combat grade ninja boots my brother once showed me some in one of his crazy magazines. Reinforced kevlar, with two toes. These boots were first made for rope climbing and agility based activities, (raiding castles, killing samurai, etc.) But the ability to climb a single rope with one foot, or reach out with your leg and grab a rope with the toes, all sound usefull. To bad the ones I saw were $280.00 yikes. But kevlar is nearly indestructable. Until my upgrade though I use stiff soled high tops $5 value village two years ago no complaints.

The only person you have to be better than, is yourself from yesterday.

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126521 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Ninja boots
The technical name for that kind of boot Ajakz is "tabi". You can try a search on Googe and find them from many different sources. I would suggest a stiff sole first rather than a soft leather sole.

The soft sole woudl be good for a "bare foot feel" or possibly a quiet approach to your tree where you need to feel the twigs before you break them before letting all wildlife and humans know you are there.

The hard sole woudl be good for tighter crotches, but not too tight.

Kevlar? Good for Iraq and possibly walking over glass encrusted ground or barb wire strengh briar patches. Might be good for yellow jacket stings, though they seem to land everywhere when roused.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126535 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic
I climbed most of the summer in old cross-trainer shoes, but in the fall switched over to the shoes I often wear to work; something cheap that is shaped a bit like Moss's old Eccos. What I like about these is that the bit of heel seems to help catch the rope for single footlocking. I'll probably be trying out various boots this winter - haven't settled on anything yet.

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126536 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic
I just got a pair of Herman Survivor Commanders from Walmart for $49, which were recommended by some guys on Treebuzz and sent to me by one of them since our Wallyworlds here still don't have much due to Katrina.

They're Great!!!

They are very comfortable and warm, are waterproof, have great ankle support, have a stiff enough sole for tight crotches(or spiking if needed), have a very grippy sole with a shallow transition from sole to heel which allows footlocking. And they won't break your Bank.

I've tried many boots before and so far I love 'em.
Can't believe how comfy and warm they are even in this cold weather.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

• slingshot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126823 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic footwear
I know this is kind of an old post but i like my light weight Nike running shoes.. they fit into the tight spots nice, give me a good feel for the tree, and are very comfy.. boots made me feel like I was hauling lead weights up with me into the tree's. sometimes even sandles.

slingshot

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127061 by itinerant
Replied by itinerant on topic Soles
Here's a question. Been on the ground in carpentry for awhile so forgot how just a little moisture can change a nice secure footing on a doug fir branch on sunday into a treacherous (for my hiking boot sole) slippery bugger on Monday due to that rehydrated green film. Any suggestions as to a good sole material to stay afixed? I thought of those fishing waders with felt soles.,,

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127067 by moss
Replied by moss on topic
Felt soles sounds good, I can't think of anything else that's not damaging that would work on slimy wet bark.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds