• mojo123
  • mojo123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124659 by mojo123
Beginner questions was created by mojo123
Hi all,
Please indulge a newbie the opportunity to ask some dumb questions. I've never climbed, other than the free-form branch-to-branch climbing we all did as kids.
I'm 44 years old, have 20 acres of woods that I adore, and think climbing would only enhance my enjoyment.
A few basic questions:
-- SADDLES -- why are they so expensive? It's quite an investment just to experiment to see if I indeed DO enjoy climbing. Will a rock-climbing or rappelling harness substitute? They're about a third of the price. Why or why not?

--- LEARNING -- this site has been wonderful, friendly and quite informative. I see classes offered, in Georgia and a few others here and there. But some are quite expensive -- a few hundred dollars for a weekend course -- and none are in my area (Central Ohio). Can I learn out of a book? I did pick up "The Tree Climber's Companion." Obviously, however, there's danger involved and I don't want my youthful exuberance to lead to a costly mistake. I've thought about calling some of the local tree-trimmers around here and see if I can get/pay one to give me a 2-hour crash course (no pun intended.)
Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dietley
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124660 by Dietley
Replied by Dietley on topic Beginner questions
Welcome mojo! I think this is an activity you will enjoy. Yes, you can self-teach yourself, and yes, you can use things like climbing harnesses to try it out. For comfort and safety, however, you will certainly want a proper tree climbing saddle once you decide to stay with it.

I've always thought that tree climbing equipment was a bargain! Your saddle, rope, and ascenders (if you want them) are the only items that will cost into the three digits, and most other items can be had for pocket money! I'm a shameless gear-head, so have all the bells and whistles, and I've invested a fraction of what I spent in my younger days racing motocross and scuba diving. Compared to other activities I've done, the cost of tree gear is most comparable to, say, archery. Even my medium-priced mountain bike and related gear cost more! Best of all, you don't have to continue spending money to play; there are no green fees, no entry fees, no fuel or air to fill up, nothing. This is especially true for someone lucky enough to have their own 20 acre playground!

I have mixed feelings about the cost of instruction. In and of itself, it seems to be more or less comparable to most other types of lessons, clinics, workshops, etc., in which you get the instruction of experts in the field. If you can afford the gear, and if you can afford 20 acres of your own land, then you can likely afford the lessons. If, however, you aren't within a day's drive of the climbing schools, then the cost of getting there, and staying there (or of getting the instructors to you and keeping them there), can be prohibitive. For me, it just isn't feasible at this time, and maybe not for you either.

If you read all you can, practice your knots, and try everything you learn low and slow, you'll be okay. You won't find much material to read at the library or bookstore, but the internet gives lots of access to good stuff. Besides here, try the forums on the Tree Climbers Coalition website, as well as the professional arborists sites like ArborSite and TreeBuzz.

Be careful, and have fun!

Brad

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124661 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Self taught.
Learning how to climb will depend on your time frame and willingness to take risk. If you want to come out of the gate fast with proven technique and a higher level of proficiency, a course will be right for you. You will learn most of what you need in 2 days with lots of individual attention. If you have time on your hands are the type that is patient and likes learning alone, a book like Climbers Companion will be OK, if you go slowly at the beginning. Remember trail and error aloft can be costly to your health- take is slowly.

Do not scrimp on your rope or saddle. Get the best the market can supply. It will last years if you do not damage it, like with too fast a descent or with sharp cutting tools, like a hand saw.

I would certainly join TCI if you find this message board helpful. In a few days you will be able to read the postings but you will not be able to post unless you pay an initial $20 membership fee. The next year it will cost you $10.

Welcome to the tree climbing community. May your experiences be as lofty as the trees you climb.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124662 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Most of what you need.
A correction. You will learn all of what you will need to start climbing. If you want to sleep in trees or climb redwoods, you will need more technique.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124705 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic Beginner questions
Mojo,

Welcome to the club! If you like the woods (like I do) I'll bet you'll like tree climbing.

I'm still pretty new to the game. Started last fall. I, too, did not want to spend a bunch of money on another hobby until I was sure I'd like it.

You do want good gear since your life literally depends on it. I started by buying some good rope. I was able to pick up a short length - 30' - for pretty cheap. I had some carabiners and accessory line to make prusiks etc. I initally made a harness out of webbing (several of the rock climbing sites tell you how to do it) and that worked for the first few, low level climbs - I stayed under 15' until I felt I at least kinda knew what I was doing. I still haven't gotten an official saddle, but I rediscovered a bowhunting tree seat that is just what the doctor ordered.

My point is that you can buy good equipment for some of the things you'll need, and can improvise some of it. Just be sure you're really confident in what you improvise.

So what are you doing reading this? Go climb a tree.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds