• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124723 by nickfromwi
11mm Climbing lines was created by nickfromwi
Here's what I know...

First there was the Fly. Then Samson came out with Velocity early this summer, then later in the summer Yale had Blaze. Velocity was an improvement on Fly in the sense that it was a basic double-braid construction and therefore much more easily spliced. Fly was a pain to splice. 2 other differences I noted were that Velocity was a hair thinner and lighter than Fly. Also, Vel. was coated with something to make it sticky. This concept is great involving your hands, but horrible in regards to friction hitches. Blaze is a double-braid as well, but without the coating. It's just good rope.

In another thread, it was mentioned that Fly runs through hitches faster. I guess it's all in which hitches you use. I started on half-inch climbing line (first NER BSB, then Buccanneer for a year or two, then I switched to Yale XTC for a couple years, then Fly for a little bit, and now Blaze). I get about the same performance with the 11mm as I did with the 1/2". I tie way different friction hitches, however.

150' of Blaze weighs less and takes up less space in my bag than 120' of XTC. Prices are more or less the same.

Now regarding the 11mm lines and hardware, yes it might run faster through belay plates, 8's, and other descending devices. It's thinner. So I agree whole-heartedly with that aspect of it.

What else is there to these 11mm lines? What are the drawbacks? Why WOULDN'T someone want to buy one?

love
nick, whose trying to keep the river of information flowing

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rod Justice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124675 by Rod Justice
Replied by Rod Justice on topic
Hey folks,

Sorry for being a reader and not much of a writer. I write a lot for a living and at times you just don't want to.

Regarding the Fly:

Yes, it takes a Blakes very well. I've been climbing on it for a while now and have had no problems at all. I find that it is easier to handle than regular half inch.

With half inch I used to have problems getting blisters on my left hand ring and middle fingers. Don't ask me why just those two. Nothing a well placed band-aid before a climb wouldn't prevent but aggravating nonetheless. With the Fly, nothing. Obviously it fits my hand different than half inch. Who's to say that applies to everyone else? I could just be a freak.

So, yes, it does apply to DRT as well as SRT. I use it for everything with no problems. It took a bit getting used to on SRT since the smaller diameter allowed the ascender to slide down a bit more before biting the rope. I had to get into the habit of angling the ascender correctly and making sure it grabs before releasing it and putting my weight on it. Not dangerous, just disconcerting at the beginning. Half inch fills more of the rope space in the ascender so it wasn't much of a problem. After a few climbs it became natural and I don't even think about it now.

I don't know if they designed the Fly to move nicely through equipment or if it's just because of its size but it sure does move through a Petzl Stop and a rack nice, fast and smoooooth.

I love it.

Be well.

Rod

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124572 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic
Nick, Rod,

That was precisely the type of info I was looking for in the “So Who Is Left” thread.

Thanks for the input.
Electrojake

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124527 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Blisters and cramps
I've had the problems with the blisters on the two fingers too. I think it is from climbing with my wedding band on though.

I dont like climbing on ropes smaller than my XTC, my hands get real crampy with sportline even. I think I don't make a good grip on the line so I need the extra girth.

That said, I am going to start packing the sportline for the long hikes. My knees are aging faster than the rest of me, and I feel any extra weight. Anybody have some fly sitting around unused for comparison...

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124528 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic
Icabod, I have a short 60 footer that I use for pruning tiny trees. I could ship it over for you to use for a while. I don't know if you'll get the full affect of the 11mm lines when only in a 30' tree, but the offer's on the table.

I also have a 150' Blaze, but I'm not letting that one go!:D

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124466 by Electrojake
Everyone loves FLY.

I picked up 120’ of the stuff last summer…
Looked so pretty I was almost afraid to get it dirty.
It ran so fast on DRT I was almost afraid to use it.

Reading all these postings about how wonderful Fly is makes me feel that I just didn’t give it enough of a chance last summer when I sampled it on a DRT climb. (Although I must say, it was sweet on SRT).

This stinking snow season! I want to climb… Not shovel :(
(Cabin fever no doubt)

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124892 by moss
Replied by moss on topic thinking of Blaze
People are speaking highly of Blaze, looking around I'm not seeing it on any of the supplier sites, checked Sherrill, Wespur, New Tribe. Actually don't even see it listed on Yale's site. I must have a blind spot for it, anyone know who's carrying it?

Comments on Blaze, the upside, the downside? I guess this fits in with this 11mm thread.
-moss

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124895 by Electrojake

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124899 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic
Fresco Arborist Supplies sells Yale Blaze:

http://www.frescoarborist.com/index2.html

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124900 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic
Sherril does sell Blaze. It's not on their website yet, so you have to call. As a matter of fact, they have TWO kinds. The bright orange/yellow/black that many of us have seen, and they also have a NEW Blaze. Its black and green and it's actually 11.5mm. They call it Poison Ivy!

Bishop also sells the stuff. And I know Oklahoma Arborist Supplies has some left, too.

love
nick, the rope dork

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds