Ropes

• UpLink
  • UpLink's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 5 months ago - 19 years 5 months ago #124023 by UpLink
Ropes was created by UpLink
im new to tree climbing.... i think i should get a static rope? wut diameter? thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago - 19 years 5 months ago #124024 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic Ropes
Hey uplink, Welcome to the club.

I'm also a new climber with some rope questions, so I figured I'd put in my two cents and ask my questions too.

I'm currently using a static, rock climbing type rope (12 mm). It seems to work fine for me, but I keep hearing that true arborist rope is better.

I understand that static rope can get too hot and melt it you use it for a quick DRT descent with a Blake's hitch (Uplink, if this is Greek to you, be sure to get the book "Recreational Tree Climbing" or "A Tree Climber's Companion", or better still, take a lesson)

I tend to use a figure eight descender even with DRT so that's not going to be a problem for me. What other problems does the static line have? Is there a problem with knots holding or other issues?

Uplink, the other post to look at is the one of "The Fly" rope. Apparently that's great rope, but it's a bit too expensive for me right now.

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124294 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Ropes
Guys- I would seriously look at an arborist climbing line. I'm too sleepy right now to go in to all the details, but it boils down to the thicker strands on the cover handle abrasion better....and it's always nice to get the right tool for the job!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124305 by prosigna
Replied by prosigna on topic Ropes
Come on Nick. Don't get lazy on us. Sleep is no excuse.:P

I'm no expert but I can tell you what I know. I started climbing because I had a good 1/2'' static rope and ran across some knots for arborists in a book. I found an old Klien harness in a pawn shop for cheap and went out to try the knots (low and slow) and they worked great. The rope on the otherhand did not. The Blakes hitch was not bad but the prussik on my foot loop was imposible. Once they were loaded with my weight they became impossible to move. The friction of the rope did not let the knots release. Progress up the rope was slow. I purchased 150' of ArborPlex for $65.00 and - ta da - everything fell into place (except me - I did not fall). I was skeptical about arborist rope until I used some. As I understand ArborPlex is one of the lowest performing ropes out there. I have not tried any good rope yet.

Josh

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124306 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic Ropes
Ditto. I had some 3/8-in static kernmantle from way back when I worked in the oceanographic world. I threw it over a beam at my house when my first tree-climbing purchase, a New Tribe saddle, arrived. I couldn't get the Blake's hitch to budge!

Long live arborist's rope!

Peace.

Jim

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124573 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Ropes
The standard arborist rope has a polyester fiber sheath. Rock climbing ropes have nylon sheaths. Polyester is more abraision resistant, doesn't absorb water and doesn't soften as quickly under friction. There's a world of difference in performance between nylon and polyester ropes.

Regards,
Jim

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds