How long the straps? Re-post

• pattyjenkins
  • pattyjenkins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124325 by pattyjenkins
Ascender Straps how long? was created by pattyjenkins
I moved this thread to the "Gear" forum.
Patty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124317 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic How long the straps? Re-post
Patty, it says the thread is locked and I am not authorized to view it.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124318 by elliotsu
Replied by elliotsu on topic How long the straps? Re-post
I have same problem.It says:Sorry,you are not permitted to view this forum.

Elliot

• pattyjenkins
  • pattyjenkins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124319 by pattyjenkins
Replied by pattyjenkins on topic How long the straps? Re-post
I'm so sorry, guys, somehow the messages in this thread got deleted when I moved it, and our webmaster cannot pull up the messages that were there. Can you reconstruct the conversation? I promise to be MUCH more careful in the future--I'm a newbie at the mechanics of the message board software.
Patty

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #123952 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic How long the straps? Re-post
I have a pair of (CMI-Ultracenders) and want to add the straps to them. I have the question. Do you have the size of the climbing straps that you can provide me? ( Does it matter if a short person or tall person use the straps? )

Also, if you have the length of the other straps of the set that would be nice too. (The lenght of the strap from Upper ascender to the harness and to the lower ascender) If it does not matter to the climber them I would later on order the ones from New Tribe catalog, otherwise I prefer to get some custom made locally to my size ( Tall 36 inch long pants size).

P.S.
This post was removed byPatty during the last transfer.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124784 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Ascender Straps Length
I finally figured out the length of the straps that I needed to make the CMIAscenders work. I was surprized that I did not get any replies to my original post from all the opinionated "experts" about how I was going to kill myself or somethings like that. I did some clibs this past weekend and after some trial and error I figure out the length of the straps I needed. They do look pretty like the ones from NewTribe or Sherrill but they worked out fine. The dimensions I used are:
Upper ascender to seat 22 inches.
Lower ascender to seat 18 inches.
Lower ascender to foot loops 36 inches.
I hope this is not some kind of highly guarded trade secret that I have posted here for the climbing public to see. :D

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124789 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Me lazy.
No trade secret, Olsdtimer. Me- just lazy and buy premade from New Tribe. I really do love their stitching pattern. So precise!

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124794 by nickfromwi
Oldtimer, did you just use knotted rope? If that's good enough, then you're where you need to be. Otherwise you just need to find some webbing or rope slings in the size that you want, and you're good to go!

I mentioned this before, but this application might be a good place for knotted rope slings. If it were me, I would CONSTANTLY be adjusting the length. It would be a bummer to buy some nice sewn/spliced slings, then 2 weeks later find out you really wanted that lower ascender to seat at about 20".

Thank you for cracking the code. I'm going to go write these numbers down fore future reference!!!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124800 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Straps Length
Treeman
I do like the factory made stuff too with the nice finish and durability, but being from the old school (oldtimer after all), I also like to understand why things work and why they were made a certain way.

Since I do not have an unlimited amount of cash to blow away on my hobbies, I like to find sensible solutions to practical problems before I break down and finally go for the factory made stuff. Coming from an underdeveloped country we learned early on life to make repairs w/ whatever was available. Such as: Use a bar fo soap to plug a gasoline tank leak, use a green banana to repair a leaking radiator in a truck, tell the time of day with a stick on the ground...etc you know the McGuiver kind of stuff... make do w/ what you have before you run to the mall to buy the latest gadged idea.

After I made may straps I tried them and saw some limitations and I will probably buy some from the factory after all, but I have the satisfaction to have done it myself w/ what was available to me at the time.:D

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124801 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Ascender Straps Again
Nick
"Oldtimer, did you just use knotted rope? "

I used acombination of rope for the top ascender and bridge to the bottom ascender.

The legs loops were made of 1-inch flat webbing ( pink color!) " If that's good enough, then you're where you need to be."

"Otherwise you just need to find some webbing or rope slings in the size that you want, and you're good to go! "

I mentioned this before, but this application might be a good place for knotted rope slings. (Ans: This worked also but does not look nice).

Nick:. "It would be a bummer to buy some nice sewn/spliced slings, then 2 weeks later find out you really wanted that lower ascender to seat at about 20".

That was exactly why I wanted to know the straps dimensions to beging with. To try to see if it made any difference before I ordered from the internet suppliers. I assumed that a short person would need short ones and a tall person Longer ones! Silly me!

Nick: "Thank you for cracking the code. I'm going to go write these numbers down fore future reference!!! "

More than craking the code. I think I broke the "code of silence." That basically says "If you want to learn anything about climbing trees: Pay me first to take a class" otherwise all the secrets will remain with me"
:(
Well I cut this diatribe short so I will not get in too much trouble w/ "the man". The postings are getting pretty lame...and sparce.... Where are all the opinionated members?

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124803 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic How long the straps? Re-post
Hey, "Oldtimer"--

Well, I'm certainly opinionated, so, since you asked, I'll offer my opinion: My opinion is that you should be thanked a lot for what you're doing!

Peace.

Jim

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124808 by nickfromwi
I've given out thousands of dollars of splicing tips...spent countless hours on the phone talking people through splicing projects, trying to help them understand what they were doing and how they should go about doing it. I don't charge for this.

However, I can understand the "pay me and I'll tell you" mind set. When you spend years of your life gathering info, some might be hesitant to just give it all away. When I teach "official" splicing classes where a few people get together and I instruct, I feel no shame in collecting payment for this.

Please keep the info flow going. :D

Just a side note I thought I'd leave you with!

love
nick

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124881 by elliotsu
Replied by elliotsu on topic How long the straps? Re-post
So nice to have this straps information from you.
For me,I'm short guy,with 168cm tall.the New Tribe Ultracenders is American size and is too long for me.
my length is:
Upper ascender to seat 19 inches.
Lower ascender to seat 17 inches.
Lower ascender to foot loops 25 inches.
I think most of the people in Asia are small size. so the straps on ascenders are depends how tall you are.

Elliot Su
Tree Climbing Taiwan

Elliot

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124882 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Ascender Straps Follow up
Hello Elliot
I am glad that you are doing fine. The saga of the length of the ascender straps finally came to an end. I made the straps from premade slings of diverse dimensions ( 2 of 36 inches for the leggs straps and 2 of 24 inches for the upper straps) that I purchased at Recreational Equipment Incorporated. ( www.rei.com).

It took a while to figure out the right dimensions for my size but I finally arrived at what I needed and the cost was very nice within my range. :D

I have tried them in climbs a few times and they worked great, I will do some minor adjustments to get them just right but I am happy now.

I hope that your Climbing Educational Activities in Asia (Taiwan) are progressing great. I wish you lots of luck, great trees to climb and hope to meet you again hopefully in Oregon for the next rendezvous if it takes place in May - June time frame. I am looking forward to climb some of the really tall trees. The ones here in Austin are not very tall (30 to 70 feet) but are good enough to learn and practice in a safe environment.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds