More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125345 by knothead
Replied by knothead on topic This is too easy...
...and too good to keep under my helmet even though I haven't fully tested it in the field.

Reading this thread, I've been intrigued by the idea of a cloth Cambium Saver with a Velcro seam that would allow you to put it on a set rope. I went into "inventor mode" and tried to figure out how to apply the same idea to a leather sleeve. I considered Velcro, but the sewing seemed too difficult. I considered cutting interlocking notches that would lock the edges together. That was promising, but also tedious to make.

Then I started thinking outside the box. Forget the zippers, Velcro, thread, rivets, etc. Forget everything except the leather. Try this, it works:

1) Cut a 4" X 24" piece of thick leather.
2) Soak it in water for 5 minutes.
3) Wrap it around a garden hose.
4) Strap it with tie-wraps, string, tape, whatever.
5) Bend it into a "U" shape and fasten it there.
6) Let it dry. (A hot car while you're at work is perfect.)

The result is a sleeve that will hold its shape, but can be separated to allow a standing rope to be inserted. Of course, the first time you get caught in the rain, this complicated piece of craftsmanship will turn into a limp dishrag. So what? Just take it home, soak it, wrap it around a garden hose...

Just remember the kind of thing only a knothead would forget: when you wrap it around the garden hose, put the slick side in and the rough side out.

Regards all,
-Knothead

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #123790 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic
Clever.

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• slingshot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126903 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic
Revive an old thread program :D

my father owns a canvas shop that I was thinking of having him make me some friction savers from heavy duty vinyl coated nylon material... the same material used on semi tarps.

any thoughts..??

also thought that he might be able to help with a custom saddle for me either with an already made (fall arrest) or possible our own using other designs..

wacha think??

slingshot

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds